ZDJL Swap

clay32

To put this shortly I've had a ZDJL engine sitting in my garage for quite some time and a '85 turbo 5 speed chassis without an engine sitting in my drive for quite some time as well. Being 2 N9t daily drivers is probally enough trouble to cope with instead of welding 3 cylinder heads to get all the N9Ts going I was wondering what would be involved drivetrain-wise in dropping in the ZDJL. I'm assuming if I did find a ZDJL ba 7/5 bellhousing it will never mate with the turbo's BA 10/5, but if it could by some miricle that would be bril, but I'm sure much too hopeful.

My proper question is if I do find a ba 7/5 will I simply be able to swap it with the BA 10/5 or is the torque tube a different length or something ridiculous, and if I find a ba 7/5 from an XN6 car will i just need to get hold of a bellhousing for a ZDJL/ZEJK? No one would happen to know where I could find one would they...?

The BA7 and the 10 should swap size wise, but you're correct in knowing that the bell housings won't swap over.

With that out of the way - I'd be tempted to hook up the L-jet off the turbo on to the ZDJL to see if it worked OK. With no boost to sense - it should be OK - worth the experiment at the very least.

Best bet for parts tranny would be posting on Peugeot-L I'd think.

Rabin

The BA7 and the 10 should swap size wise, but you're correct in knowing that the bell housings won't swap over.

With that out of the way - I'd be tempted to hook up the L-jet off the turbo on to the ZDJL to see if it worked OK. With no boost to sense - it should be OK - worth the experiment at the very least.

Best bet for parts tranny would be posting on Peugeot-L I'd think.

Rabin

Alright that should make the project a bit more interesting, truth be told I was actually wondering earlier if that would be possible, but I guess we'll see.

I think I do have an xn6 ba7 in my garage somewhere but I think it has a broken first gear so I'll go ahead and post on Peugeot-L.

Being gaskets and parts are so cheap with the zdjl, I just checked and its a shock after being used to n9t prices where I just payed $80 for an N9T oil pan gasket and for a zdjl its $5, I figure I will pull down the engine while I wait for the tranny to sort out. It has 280k on it and has only ever had a new timing belt, so I may just go for it now and make it a good engine.

if i was you, i'd manual swap the 86 Gl turbo...the one I almost bought :rolleyes:

Well you should be happy you didnt buy it, it had a cracked cylinder head and the one I swapped it for turned out to be cracked even though it pressure tested, so I sent it off to be welded. I should get a chance to swing the tranny out once my other projects are done though, its something I have been thinking about ever since I

got the car. Besides the auto is gonna die any day now.

Hey thinking about it I heard a while ago you knew of a scrapyard with some pugs in Fremont, was that European Auto Wreckers in Newark or is there another one, it might help if I'm looking for a ba7.

hmm...maybe.

i went there last month, and picked up some 89' euro tails, bracket, insturment cluster, blinker, and turn signal switch.

a lot of their stuff is broken crap, but they have some okay stuff.

there's a maroon 86-88 turbo sedan 5spd, its f'd up, but looks straight.

I think the tranny would be good, but I took the shift knob :rolleyes:

if you want to meet up and do a jy day (oakland, richmond pnps) let me know!

hmm...maybe.

i went there last month, and picked up some 89' euro tails, bracket, insturment cluster, blinker, and turn signal switch.

a lot of their stuff is broken crap, but they have some okay stuff.

there's a maroon 86-88 turbo sedan 5spd, its f'd up, but looks straight.

I think the tranny would be good, but I took the shift knob :rolleyes:

if you want to meet up and do a jy day (oakland, richmond pnps) let me know!

hahaha i was down in Newark last weekend for merc parts and I had noticed that the gear nob had disappeared that was there last month. I was planning to get the propshaft out of that car when I need to convert one of my turbos to a 5sp. Im definatly up for the jy day, I'll pm you about it later.