Coilovers

Trevor

Ok, i have been looking into suspension stuff for the 505turbos. After crunching some numbers i thought well.. wouldnt it be nice to have some adjustability for rideheight instead of half-winging it? I just know even after calculating the numbers the stance is not going to be perfect due to varying corner weights etc. It couldn't be THAT hard to find something out there that fits could it!?? Specifically I've been looking into the ground control coilovers made for various cars like BMW's. It seems to me like we'd just need a measurement of the strut body for the coilover part to fit over. Now i'm wondering if it's just a slip fit over the strut normally?

Now the other interesting point here... The springs on the 505 stock struts are REALLY large diameter (coil wise). As Rabin knows this creates for some clearance problems with wider wheels. I came across this interesting quote on a ground control site for BMWs:

"removal of stock spring seat and welding optional for added tire clearance and range of adjustment"

Ok, why did we not think of this? There's no real reason to have massive coils in there, especially since the strut body is so small in comparison. So maybe we need a set of ground control coilovers and to cut the spring seats and weld them on? This may be a really sweet setup... I think it's worth some research. Ground control coilovers are supposed to be some of the best of their 'type.'

http://www.ground-control-store.com/produc...tion.php?II=674

If you guys find anything out plz share.

Here's a link on some guy's installation (look at their spring comparison): http://www.z31.com/coilover.shtml

Also, how about parts like this for our 505s:

http://www.ground-control-store.com/produc...php/II=135/CA=7

I'm sure I've mentioned it coil over conversion in the last little while... :) Just have to spend the time/$$$ to do it!

Check out the this Volvo info: http://wwwrsphysse.anu.edu.au/~amh110/Tech...ts_handling.htm

http://personal.linkline.com/dbarton/SpecS....html#coilovers (This is is pretty much what I'd like to re-create.)

I did bring it up on the Aussie frogs site and there was a lot of talk of moving the rear shock to the end of the trailing arm instead of inside the spring - the extra leverage it would have would essentially increase it's ability to dampen... Mounting the coil over's in the usual spot will liklely take significant spring rates and damping rates - so moving spring/shock location might be a better benefit.

All the previous talk of cutting springs and such would be a temp measure for me - I think coil over's are definitely the way to go.

I also made a connection with a guy that makes coil overs if anyone is interested - he figured $2000 USD for a Bilstein rally spec suspension... I can't afford that right now so I'm thinking of doing it myself. The ground control stuff would be a nice place to start - Summit Racing also has some options. Using 2.5" ID springs would make the cost of tuning pretty resonable too since they're usually sold pretty cheep...

what about the size / length of the strut 'shaft'.. is it possible to find custom camber plates that would work?

its such a badass idea, but it seems like there has to be some whack 'peugeot effect' problem that's going to step into the way.

rabin: did the aussie frog guys mention anything about how + where the mount shocks on the rear of the trailing arms? i guess we could weld something, but where would it mount on top? maybe i'd have to look underneath to get a better idea.. hmmmmm interesting idea though!

Camber plates: My buddy Gord (Has the wheel shop with 4 axis milling machine) has a set of adjustable camber plates that he's made a pattern of. Getting a custom set won't be much at all - and the only update to use them on the Pug is to do a custom plate that mounts to the pug strut tower for the camber plate to attach to. Should be very easy to set that up once the coil over is done. (Bearing in the cap would just have to be sized for the Pug shaft.)

Trailing arm: They just said on the back of it. I have a complete rear suspension assembly hanging on my garage wall so I was checking it out. Mounting it to the trailing arm would be a piece of cake - but the upper mounting would not be so fun. Not a whole lot of length to work with - so you'd likely have to build in the upper mounts on both sides which would have to be inside the trunk. Welding in rear strut mounts from another car might be the easiest way to get that done.

It'd be cool to build custom trailing arms from tubular steel, and incorporate the existing bearing/hub assembly - but that's a lot of work if you don't have a lot of manufacturing equipment. I've also thought about swapping out another rear suspension with more modern geometry - the WRX has a nice simple multilink that would be fairly easy to swap over....

Dang - I tend to go off and nasty improbable tangents... :)

For me the coil-overs would be a cool winter project. I'd start with the building the coil-overs, then build from there to make sure everything was done to fit them. There are quite a few coil over kits available, so it will just be a matter of finding a suitable set for the threaded sleeves and the spring collars. I'd likely start with changing the shock fluid to get more damping, then raise the spring rate to the match the damping I had.