electrical problems?

Guest dane

hi im having some electrical problems i cant figure out what fuses are for the speedometer and rpm gauge and psi gauge. The heat and gas gauges work but that's it. And i cant find a diagram on the web anywhere dose anybody know a web sight that would have a diagram?

Speedo is a mechanical cable, and the tach reads it's signal off the coil. I'm guessing if both aren't working you'll need to take the instrument cluster out and verify it's hooked up properly. I'd check the wiring at the coil first though. If the speedo cable is broken - a universal repair kit is supposed to work quite well.

Best bet for that is to drop the steering column a bit, then put two small screw drivers or pics into the little holes on either side of the gauges. Push in to release the clips and it should pull right out.

As for the fuses - I just check all of them to make sure. Won't hurt to put some dielectric grease on the contacts when you put them back in either.

Rabin

Speedo is a mechanical cable, and the tach reads it's signal off the coil. I'm guessing if both aren't working you'll need to take the instrument cluster out and verify it's hooked up properly. I'd check the wiring at the coil first though. If the speedo cable is broken - a universal repair kit is supposed to work quite well.

Best bet for that is to drop the steering column a bit, then put two small screw drivers or pics into the little holes on either side of the gauges. Push in to release the clips and it should pull right out.

As for the fuses - I just check all of them to make sure. Won't hurt to put some dielectric grease on the contacts when you put them back in either.

Rabin

OK i just looked at the coil and i don't see a cable where would that be located on their?

and i can see their are 4 little mettle things for weirs to connect to on the top of the coil, 3 are connected but one is not their do toughs have anything to do with my problem

Cable goes to the transmission. Should be a two piece cable - but if you pull the instrument cluster you'll see the end of it. When they go I've usually seen them break near or at the transmission. You just did your clutch - so you had to have pulled the speedo cable off the tranny when you removed it. It should have had a square (or flat?) end on it that fit into the tranny. If it was working before the clutch job then it's likely just an installation issue.

If there's a wire at the coil that's disconnected then that could be the problem with the tach. Best to post a picture so we can say for sure.

BTW - how's that stage 3 SPEC clutch working out?

Rabin

Cable goes to the transmission. Should be a two piece cable - but if you pull the instrument cluster you'll see the end of it. When they go I've usually seen them break near or at the transmission. You just did your clutch - so you had to have pulled the speedo cable off the tranny when you removed it. It should have had a square (or flat?) end on it that fit into the tranny. If it was working before the clutch job then it's likely just an installation issue.

If there's a wire at the coil that's disconnected then that could be the problem with the tach. Best to post a picture so we can say for sure.

BTW - how's that stage 3 SPEC clutch working out?

Rabin

oooooo ha about 3 months ago i looked under my car because i heard something and i it was a cable dragging behind the car that lead to the back end of the tranny i just took it out and is in the garage in a box now. but it never worked before that ether :/ ill put some pictures up in a bit so you can see.

And for the clutch its working great i love it much better then the stalk one i had in earlier. :D

And for the clutch its working great i love it much better then the stalk one i had in earlier. :D

More on this! I'm about to do the clutch in my 86 and I'm in the PS area. Did you have a shop do it? Unit purchased? Links?

PS: Put your car in your sig so we can easily see what we're dealing with. A lot of new 505 owners signing up lately!

Hi Koll,

Not sure where Dane purchased his from - but 034 is where I've seen them.

034 Motorsports

Dane - hope you took pictures and stuff! Stage 3 is pretty hardcore, but it still has the spring loaded center so it should be pretty forgiving still. I'd be torn between stage 2 and 3 for my project - I'd rather slip the clutch than break part of the drivetrain. (I like the idea of the clutch being the weakest link!)

Might be better to start a new post about it - but there's definitely interest in them for sure!

Rabin

Not asked from me... but I still answer :D

SPEC stage 3 feels ok. Was bit rough at start and was taking pumpy when releasing but now it feels like standard. It could be also at this coldness has some effect.

V-M

P.S Strange? In that link it shows at I have stage 2 not 3? Packet was saying3

P.S Strange? In that link it shows at I have stage 2 not 3? Packet was saying3

V-M - in that case you'll have to let us know if the clutch is holding that monster motor under full load next summer. The six puck stage 3 looks pretty aggressive and I'd worry about the drive shaft splines in the diff and transmission with hard launches.

Rabin

More on this! I'm about to do the clutch in my 86 and I'm in the PS area. Did you have a shop do it? Unit purchased? Links?

PS: Put your car in your sig so we can easily see what we're dealing with. A lot of new 505 owners signing up lately!

http://www.jdsperformance.com/Spec.asp?fin...model=505_(Gas)

That's the link to where i got mine,

And no i did it myself a shop would cost an arm and a leg to do the work plus its better to do it yourself i just look at it as a learning experience :D

im not going to lie though it was pretty hard

and what do you mean buy sig?