Getting ready to race #45 for the first time

nick@nite

Head is assembled @ the moment waiting for Cometic now, sorry Rabin maybe if it's not so out of the way to find someplace to test a pair. There is a small valve spring that sits inside the bigger valve spring.

Spark plug had Bosch W4CS, but the my Regular NGK BP6ES fit...

Don't know either my father knew that dani did have special spark holes and spark... Very interesting indeed... :) I think we have a misfit

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No worries man - I'm just stoked to see what kind of monster this sucker turns out to be! There's like no documentation for doing this kind of performance stuff to these cars, so this build is HUGE for seeing what this sucker can do.

As for the head - the French forum had some pictures of some modifed stock heads very similar to what yours is like, and the concensus (that I could make out anyway) was that with a modified stock head just like yours, and a Dani regrind, you'd get so close to the power of the proper Dani head, and it wasn't really worth it to track one down.

Hopefully I can eventually get my Dani engine installed and dyno'd and we can compare numbers next year.... :)

BTW: Was the engine block o-ringed - or was the head? They usually do the block in most cases - so curious if the groove in the head was the imprint or if it had a groove machined too. I assume it's not being o-ringed again?

Rabin

If Cometic can come up with something decent, and you have ARP studs, I don't think you'd need the o-rings at all.

Any ideas what compression will be? Need to measure dish, and combustion chamber volume with the valves closed. (CC'ing them both with fluid likely the best way.)

Rabin

Cometic Gasket that we have is holding fine and I sold Holms on 2 when we get them in aswell

But want maybe some more boost :) they said 20 PSI they were rated for....

ARP Studs Spec page to make to spec on page 22...

http://issuu.com/arpbolts/docs/catalog2.pd...howFlipBtn=true

So did you use the modded head or a stock one? (From the cam lift shots that's a stock head.)

Pretty cool if you're using the header - or was this just for the teaser shot?

Rabin

Going full Bore with this engine:

Arias 92mm forged pistons, modded head with Dani 200 cam, Double Valves springs, headers, Calling around on turbos today trying to find a modern turbo to go with ancient 38mm external WG...

Want to talk with you Rabin. Will buy the Harness for VEMS if you want to loan the ECU? We are going to need a standalone going for 25 PSI....

And will be updating the intercooler aswell :lol:

Going full Bore with this engine:

Arias 92mm forged pistons, modded head with Dani 200 cam, Double Valves springs, headers, Calling around on turbos today trying to find a modern turbo to go with ancient 38mm external WG...

Want to talk with you Rabin. Will buy the Harness for VEMS if you want to loan the ECU? We are going to need a standalone going for 25 PSI....

And will be updating the intercooler aswell :lol:

Sure! It did come with harness connectors and such, so you're welcome to all of it if you can use it. I just ask that you buy two of everything used to fit it to your car so I can duplicate the set up on my car when I get it back. (I'll refund of course). Who's the VEMS dude down there that you're planning to use to tune it?

And did you get a part number for the ARP studs?

Turbo - I think a GT2860RS would be pretty cool with wicked response. ~350HP before it runs out of poop, but legendary response. Is the header a standard T3 flange?

Just PM me your contact info and mailing address and we'll get it sorted.

Rabin

Going over to Kalescustom and Talk with Joey tonight showing him the stock Turbo and the 930 Turbo and the 930 38mm WG

I'm looking into a Garrett for sho... Maybe the new GTX series, Joey got one now though to build a t3/t4 flange is $1800....

VEMS guy is Jason Russell

I didn't get the Part # but I'm sure it will come on the invoice when they arrive.

I'll map everything out for you for use on the VEMS

This VEMS swap should work out great for both of us. You get to save some $$ for a while, and I'll get a tune for pretty much the same engine I'm using which is HUGE since I don't have a VEMS tuner anywhere close.

The new GTX turbos are wicked. It's amazing to look a the new billet wheels, and now I hear they've got a titanium billet wheel that's just retarded for boost response. If you end up using something like that, this car should be an absolute monster. Likely pushing your Dad's HP output in the STI I'm guessing. :lol:

Sizing is critical though, so resist the urge to go with big peaky power! Response and midrange is what you want for road racing / hill climbing.

What injectors?

Rabin

Yeah thinking about Getting the Disco Potato GT2860RS

But evil in me still says maybe the 3071R

Joey was saying with VEMS you can control your wheel spin through the different gear ratio spec and turbo spike...

Nice thing about the Disco is that it boosts so fast, lag isn't much of an issue and you can drive the power MUCH better. Trying to drive fast with lag is a BITCH, since it comes on late, and you can't modulate the power as it spikes, but it's not bad varying throttle while in boost if you know what I'm saying...

I'd value smooth consistent delivery, and boost 1000 rpm sooner over 50 HP at the top end ANY day.

On a big road course - no. Drag racing - no.

Beauty with VEMS is that you can tune for both, then you're a turbo swap away if you need the big power. For a hill climb, rally, or auto-x - I'd do disco in a heart beat. Maybe a GT2871R if you just HAVE to have more... :lol:

And yes - VEMS is nuts. The only thing with doing any of the fancy gear dependent stuff with VEMS is figuring out how to get what gear the car is in, into VEMS. Even without that though - there's SO much it can do it just boggles the mind. Launch control, running the cooling fans, water / meth injection - the list is endless. So having someone like Jason to do the tuning is like GOLD.

Rabin

What flange is that Disco? I've found T3 flanged Disco's and T25's...

Can't wait to hear what the deal is with the VEMS once Jason checks it out. I forgot to mention I picked up a steel VW trigger wheel that I was going to look at adapting, but space on the front pulley wasn't doable with the clearance to the block in the inside ring. So I'm curious to hear what options for the ignition trigger Jason figures will work best.

I also found that the guts a specific VW distributor will fit into the N9TE distributor for the cam angle sensor in VEMS, (which I just remembered!), so if you want that I can send it as well. This allows you to use the trick injector timing feature in VEMS to really dial it in nice.

Rabin

What flange is that Disco? I've found T3 flanged Disco's and T25's...

Can't wait to hear what the deal is with the VEMS once Jason checks it out. I forgot to mention I picked up a steel VW trigger wheel that I was going to look at adapting, but space on the front pulley wasn't doable with the clearance to the block in the inside ring. So I'm curious to hear what options for the ignition trigger Jason figures will work best.

I also found that the guts a specific VW distributor will fit into the N9TE distributor for the cam angle sensor in VEMS, (which I just remembered!), so if you want that I can send it as well. This allows you to use the trick injector timing feature in VEMS to really dial it in nice.

Rabin

Cool I'll let you know about the distributor, I know that the caps are the same.

T3 flange, AR.63 exhuast housing is smaller than I thought :(

0418111336.jpg

Jason is one of the owners of VEMS and is about 3 weeks out and he has everything in stock will be coming here and working with us @ the shop and building 2 harnesses. So if you want to send out the cam angle sensor. He said most of the sensors will work he was only wondering about the trigger. Jason is also bench testing the box and getting it recertified.