Getting ready to race #45 for the first time

nick@nite

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All the pistons were bad, blew @ 14 PSI... Ran it too lean and too much advanced timing

Block is fine, went down to go get bored .006, had some corrosion on the block so it's getting decked. Ordering another headgasket from Cosmetic today

So - was the block bored to match the pistons, or were the pistons spec'd to the bore size after they took the .006" out? Was there any specs from Arias about what the bore should be?

Are the rods stock, with just some clean up / polishing? Are you going to weigh them to make sure they're all the same weight? I'm guessing the pistons are all match weighted right?

And damn that crank looks like it was worked! Can't wait to hear how this engine goes on the dyno!

Rabin

The dani bottom end is all matched by Dani, rods, crank, 6:1 pistons, and block was o-ringed gasket, to hold the boost.

I'm going to look with my father to try and find the Dani head, should be around here aswell... Unfortunatly I think the Block case itself was thrown out....

Stock rods VS. Dani Polished, they've been worked pretty good work too!

Bore you want it .003 out from the ring, and the Arias Piston are a 4 ring piston!

0315111352a.jpg

Nick,

I will loan you my HANS for the event if you'd like to borrow it. You will need to purchase and install the anchors, but that is an easy job (I've done 3 sets already, 1 at a track).

As for tires, I have 4 BFG Rally tires on steel TRX rims. They have steel valve stems, 85% tread. Take offs from Buffum, not sure what car he ran on BFG's though. I can get more as well.....A friend took all he could way back when.

Do it. Once in a lifetime event. I spent a bunch renting a car, tires, HANS, etc on the 40th Anniversary of Formula Ford at Road America in July 2009. I did not think of the money then and don't now. Racing with 112 other FF crazies (started 84th, finished 42nd) was worth every penny and then some.

Doooooooooo IT.

If you want to discuss, 316 425 7519 (I'm in the Central time zone)

Bryan

Well Bryan I think I'll take you up on that....

Because the Peugeot 505 and I have been accepted the compete in the Mount Washington Hillclimb!!!

I am amazed and am in awe....

Time to prepare even more for this season and start studying that hill now. I will go a couple of times before the competition, may do some camping with the GF, nice drive from here, 2 hours with my driving from here....

IMAG0192-1.jpg

Nick,

Happy to loan you my HANS. Pleased to hear you got accepted! You need to carry the 505Turbo.com logo onthe car! I know a guy that can make them for us.... :blink:

Give me a ring at 316 425 7519 between 8am-2:30pm CT Friday (3/18) or some time next week. My daughter is on spring break next week so between working from home and schlepping her to various things and a little race car prep I'll be busy, but call anyway.

FYI, tires went with the silver 86 when I recycled it a few weeks back. Sorry.

Bryan

Well Bryan I think I'll take you up on that....

Because the Peugeot 505 and I have been accepted the compete in the Mount Washington Hillclimb!!!

I am amazed and am in awe....

Time to prepare even more for this season and start studying that hill now. I will go a couple of times before the competition, may do some camping with the GF, nice drive from here, 2 hours with my driving from here....

Holy CRAP man - that is truly EPIC news. Serious congratulations are in order, and now the pressure is on to make sure #45 part deux does you proud.

I'm assuming your Dad is just proud as can be, and I'm assuming is invited as well? Should be awesome!

If I was closer I'd TOTALLY come crew for you!

Rabin

First block didn't meet the spec of the piston due to the scaring

Sent down another block, and that one is now done now

Found Dani Head, wish we had the block case to use the head, may end up milling the head.

Chipping away to get all the blown apart #2 piston out of the rest of the engine....

Ordered Valve seals from Madu

Ordered Headgasket

Thinking about ordering Main bearings aswell....

Found Dani Head, wish we had the block case to use the head, may end up milling the head.

Was there damage to the Dani combustion chamber on #2? And do you mean the timing chain cover that matched the dani head is missing? So you have to machine the head to match the cover?

Sounds like it's coming together and should be quite the monster once done. B) Your stock ECU tune was pretty darn good on #45 - is the plan to dyno with that to ensure it's still good?

Rabin

Now have about 5 engines in

Dani head didn't have the dani cam, now found the dani cam in another race head taking that out...

Now found another brand new race engine that my father forgot about though the head was never bolted on. Disassembling that for the mains

Dani engine has the same timing chain setup, the block where it meet the head takes a o-ring headgasket. And both the head and block have grooves for the o-ring headgasket

That piston blew into a million piece and they're are piece stuck on everything because was hot

Today is Arlo's opened his little candy store!

Found out where this mysterious race engine came from... Peter Farrell's Heui drunk mechanics put it together. They Balanced and marked everything, the engine has brand new piston's and rings but they assembled the whole engine wrong and had heavey scratches in the block and the head....

Working with Cometic and see if they talk with a tech and see if they can build a better gasket than the Victor Reinz AFM .004 material to hold more boost. Also going to call ARP to order and convert to head studs I think.

Gotta send back the pistons, Rods don't fit the pistons B)

The ECU from #45 works well but I think Rabin you should sell me your VEMS B)

I was thinking this and it's local for $200

IMG_1938.jpg

Found out where this mysterious race engine came from... Peter Farrell's Heui drunk mechanics put it together. They Balanced and marked everything, the engine has brand new piston's and rings but they assembled the whole engine wrong and had heavey scratches in the block and the head....

Working with Cometic and see if they talk with a tech and see if they can build a better gasket than the Victor Reinz AFM .004 material to hold more boost. Also going to call ARP to order and convert to head studs I think.

Gotta send back the pistons, Rods don't fit the pistons B)

The ECU from #45 works well but I think Rabin you should sell me your VEMS B)

Holy cow man! You guys must have quite the storage area to just find shit like that... lol

Sucks to hear about the build issues, but they're just annoyances - still got lots of time to sort it out before the race.

As for your ignition - I'm not sure I'd mess with the MSD timing control stuff as that's usually for engines that don't have knock retard. (IE Non-boosted engines getting boosted) As long as you're not going for crazy boost - you should be fine with the 6AL-2 box, and an MSD Blaster coil. (Bosch coil is ~40K volts, I think the Blaster's are more like 60K Volts - which is good for ensuring the spark doesn't flame out under boost.)

Keep me posted on the HG talks with Cometic and with ARP headbolts. I've got the head bolt sizing form from them, but haven't gotten around to measuring the hole in the crank and the head to fill it out. They've spec'd a set out for the guy with the built 505T in Seattle, but he said they were slightly too short - so that's why I was going to use their form to see what they could do. If you get some spec'd out we can see if they'll do a deal on a few sets if others are interested. (I'm in for 1 set for sure, 2 depending on price)

As for the VEMS - I can't sell it 'cause then I'd need to replace it. BUT - if want it, PM me and we can talk loaner possibilities. You mentioned you had a local VEMS expert - so my "payment" would be to get a VEMS v3.3 ECU back with the tune for your engine built in. As long as I get whatever I send to you back (or replaced with identical stuff) I'd be happy. If you want more details of what all I have I'll send you the list and we can discuss. Having all those goodies dyno tuned with a proper stand alone to see what it could make would be amazing. Also benefits me as well since I'd have a great starting point for my engine as well. :)

Rabin

I see the website has a 2009 date at the bottom. Still in business or ? I love the billet/cast ally valve cover. How cool is that piece to look at?

Interesting stuff for sure.

Nick, get hold of me when you are ready to coordinate loan of the HANS.

Bryan

I don't know but I think I should have our tech Jerome call since he speaks french.

Also if you click the top Peugeot link on the top of the page it brings you back to all Peugeot performance models available for mods.

My father says the dani engine that we're piecing back together was as a whole was a 365HP when he got it from Woodner

Holy cow man! You guys must have quite the storage area to just find shit like that... lol

Rabin

It's pretty slim now... Would be set for a lifetime with used parts if my father had storage when my mother sold the house I grew up in.....

My father had a 2 story barn FULL of Peugeot parts, He had to get rid of like 40 tons of parts and turned it in for scrap.... B)

I wish I could find some pic's of the Dakar rally 504. My father inherited it from some famous racer I forget who @ the moment, but the guy died in an airplane crash. I remember that much but the thing was freckin' awesome! Sold it to a rich guy in Greece we had a whole shipping container full of spare parts that we had to label and inventory all together and put it into a container down in Boston. The owner has restored it and he's doing very well with it....

I wish I could find some pic's of the Dakar rally 504. My father inherited it from some famous racer I forget who @ the moment, but the guy died in an airplane crash. I remember that much but the thing was freckin' awesome! Sold it to a rich guy in Greece we had a whole shipping container full of spare parts that we had to label and inventory all together and put it into a container down in Boston. The owner has restored it and he's doing very well with it....

So that's who Thanos bought his car from... He's collection of historic rally Peugeot's, and his passion for the marque is outstanding.

He's offered to let me drive them if I can ever get to Greece, and I fully intend on taking him up on that!

Rabin

So that's who Thanos bought his car from... He's collection of historic rally Peugeot's, and his passion for the marque is outstanding.

He's offered to let me drive them if I can ever get to Greece, and I fully intend on taking him up on that!

Rabin

Thats funny you know Thanos....

Yep the 504 was called Sonic when we had it. Had some good times in that when I was a kid.

My father took it ice racing... BIG Snow Banks white outs :angry:

Car definalty has power!

They're in, Just had the engine shop local do the pistons it would take too long.... New Mains and Blue Rod bearings, lateral seals, rear main .

Not using the Polished rods, they don't have the hole cut outs for the oil squirters.... :angry:

Also putting together another stock motor, got 2 blocks decked aswell and had 3 heads planed :)

0401111704a.jpg

That looks purdy... :angry: Stock bearing sizes I assume?

Any replies from ARP on the head studs, or Cometic on the HG? I'm interested in both, but if I do a HG I'll likely need much bigger bore sizing then what you got... :) Really hoping I can swing 96mm bores with an offset crank grind so that I can bump the displacement and still cut rotational mass down.

BTW - Arlo HAS to be getting stoked about #145 getting this level of prep!

Rabin

That looks purdy... :angry: Stock bearing sizes I assume?

Any replies from ARP on the head studs, or Cometic on the HG? I'm interested in both, but if I do a HG I'll likely need much bigger bore sizing then what you got... :) Really hoping I can swing 96mm bores with an offset crank grind so that I can bump the displacement and still cut rotational mass down.

BTW - Arlo HAS to be getting stoked about #145 getting this level of prep!

Rabin

Stock blues Bearings

No word from Cometic & haven't called ARP my father went to the auction in PA on Wedesday.I've been running around town haven't even had time to schedule time for taxes yet.....

Also forgot I dropped #145 down @ Macco aswell

Yes We're all excited about getting this together

Cometic ring machine for the HD gsk is down and will be down for 2 weeks...

Will do the ARP Specs and will call them tomorrow...

Took some interesting pics of the Dani head and cam, Also forgot to mention the Dani also has double valve springs. And the Polish rods are from a 85' N9T thats why they didn't have oil squirter holes for the pistons.

Notice the differance in the combustion chamber Dani VS. Stock

0404111830a.jpg

0404111832a.jpg

Planed most of the groove for the o-ring hd gsk, line is still there

0404111834a.jpg

It's markings are clear

0404111828a.jpg

Extra cooling nipple

0404111836a.jpg

Hmmm...

I don't know if that's a stock Dani head or not... Does it use 10mm bike spark plugs?

This pic is from Jim Lill's old site showing his brand new dani head:

chamber.jpg

Jim's Dani page

From the looks of your combustion chamber it looks like a modified stock head where they opened up the bowl, and unshrouded the spark plug. Could very well be that this is the Danielson race version of the head, and the above pic was the "street" version - I dunno.

Opening up the bowl like that will definitely lower compression, but it should have much better flame propagation. It should also match your new pistons nice as I was curious why you didn't keep the stock piston dish shape - now I know. :)

Tell tale will be the spark plugs. If they're 10mm bike plugs, and the hole to them has been re-machined you'll know for sure.

Can you show more details on the valve springs? I'm curious what they used! Any chance you have a place that can measure spring pressures near by?

I also like the rear coolant pipe - just curious how they had it plumbed in now...

Rabin