Found a parts car... what should I get?

Well,

I managed to find a 505 parts car in one of the more obscure junkyards here in Columbus. Is there anything major I should get as far as spare parts? I have an '86 505 STI 5sp

I've gotten trim pieces that I'll never ever be able to find online or anywhere unless I go to france such as tail lights & wiring, turn signals, dash switches, ect.

The engines are not the same, this has a V6 where I have the NA 4cy.

in other news, hopefully going to be changing out the warm up regulator so it starts smoothly when cold tonight, then onto the AC system to see if I can get it up and running. I'm new to the Peugeot world so pardon the stupid questions

Hi Kevin,

I would grab the heater fan (make sure there's no play in the shaft side to side), the alloy wheels if it has it (or the steels if you ever have a need for a second set for winter) and they're cheap.

Other than that - I'd look at getting the windshield if it's good - those are pretty much NLA in a lot of places.

Sky is the limit when trying to horde parts, and I honestly get a little carried away with doing that... :lol: So a lot of it depends on how long you want to keep the car running, and how much space you have to store parts.

Rabin

This weekend I'm going to hit up the following yards with my dad:

Richmond CA PNP, Oakland CA PNP, Hayward CA PYP, Newark CA PNP, and the Moss Landing PNP.

Miles told me that there are some 505's currently @ Moss landing, so I'll hit it up for sure. Will I find Jeff there?!

If I was, I'd also grab the front underspoiler (under the front bumper), if it has one, It'll give your car better looks.

I'm going to hopefully find one this weekend.

This weekend I'm going to hit up the following yards with my dad:

Richmond CA PNP, Oakland CA PNP, Hayward CA PYP, Newark CA PNP, and the Moss Landing PNP.

Miles told me that there are some 505's currently @ Moss landing, so I'll hit it up for sure. Will I find Jeff there?!

If I was, I'd also grab the front underspoiler (under the front bumper), if it has one, It'll give your car better looks.

I'm going to hopefully find one this weekend.

Ok Rob, are you suggesting I show up at the Moss Landing PNP at a particular time and day?

Just saw Miles this past Sunday at a Citroen event, and still has a lot of good used parts from Bill Thomas stashed around on pallets in his warehouse.

Name the time and day,

Jeff

Ok Rob, are you suggesting I show up at the Moss Landing PNP at a particular time and day?

Just saw Miles this past Sunday at a Citroen event, and still has a lot of good used parts from Bill Thomas stashed around on pallets in his warehouse.

Name the time and day,

Jeff

My 505 runs great other than the cold start issue, I've just been trying to do some preventative maintenance and running into trouble finding parts. I'll see if I can grab the fan. The one i found doesn't have any wheels and sunk down into the mud upto the rotors. It's been ignored for a while it seems, the owner of the parts yard didn't even know it was still there!

Grabbed another fog light switch, gonna see if I can rig up a rear fog from it. I don't speak or read any french, so getting stuff off ebay france or french websites is a no go for me :)

Thanks for your input guys.

post-364-1216397371.jpg

oh hey!

it's you, kevster from vortex!

Remember me?

oh yeah and Jeff, actually not sure what time i'd be there tomarrow, so can't make any guarentees.

I'd probably be spending more time at the bay area yards, and it'd probably take me longer to get there...

by the way...where is the yard in realation to the powerplant, or phil's?

-rob

Rob, The PNP yard at Moss Landing is East of the powerplant about a 1/3 of a mile on Dolan Rd. Very easy to find with the other wrecking yards at the same location. If you still have ether of my cell numbers feel free to call me.

If I don't make it this weekend, I plan to stop by there during the week on my way to get a few things from Miles. I can sure scope out things your looking for since there not what I'm looking for! :)

You may just find those things in the East bay PNP yards.

Jeff

oh hey!

it's you, kevster from vortex!

Remember me?

oh yeah and Jeff, actually not sure what time i'd be there tomarrow, so can't make any guarentees.

I'd probably be spending more time at the bay area yards, and it'd probably take me longer to get there...

by the way...where is the yard in realation to the powerplant, or phil's?

-rob

Hey norcal, yep. I was kinda shocked there were any postings on the motivemag/vwvortex forums heh.

I envy all you guys on the west coast =) No rusting so those cars stick around. I've had to give up many a good running old VW or benz due to rust

Thanks for the info Jeff

yeah, the reason why I was going to head out to the moss landing yard was becuase miles informed me and my dad about alot of 505's being there....

I'm leaving right now, first to Richmond, then to Oakland.

I'm not really gonna bother going down too far today, as it'll probably be dark by the time I'll get there.

Might meet up with some Volvo guys today, so I'll probably be distracted for a while :)

well my order from Rayce shipped yesterday :) glad to hear he is back on his feet.

I'll be replacing radiator hoses, doing an oil change, coolant flush and switching out the thermostat.

Now i just hafta figure out how to hook the stupid AC compressor back up and get it charged. The power wire is coming off of it, but I can't figure out where hook it back up, there isn't anywhere around it that I can see and for the life of me I can't find a good technical guide anywhere.

Well,

after a bunch of elbow grease and help from a friend my 505 is back and purring like a kitten =)

Change the plugs, plug wires (they were originals!), theromostat, radiator hoses, oil, oil filter, CIS warm up regulator and redid the seals for the intake manifold (I think that is what it is...)

and added some nifty Peugeot OEM mud flaps B)

The car had been sitting for a long time when I got to it in April, now it is running MUCH better. It's pretty peppy, even w/ the NA 4cy engine. New pics coming when I finish buffing the hood and top of the car.

Update:

It's amazing what a little buffing can do. The paint on the hood/top/trunk was dull and faded... it's by no means perfect but is at least shiny now!

Before:

P7260019.jpg

------------

After:

P8030011.jpg

There is still some oxidation around the edges but it's not that bad. I can take care of it later on.

It's coming together very well and looking pretty good :)

P8030002.jpg

P8030004.jpg

Nice!

I just got back from the yard recently with a new taillight, and a set of really nice chrome center caps.

I like the mudflaps-even though they're not my piece of pie :)

your car is looking good!

I want to clay/wax my car pretty soon, the paint job on that car is really driving me nuts though....and so is the surface rust gathering around the rear top part of the windsheild....

Nice!

I just got back from the yard recently with a new taillight, and a set of really nice chrome center caps.

I like the mudflaps-even though they're not my piece of pie :)

I want to clay/wax my car pretty soon, the paint job on that car is really driving me nuts though....and so is the surface rust gathering around the rear top part of the windsheild....

Thanks :D I have a few more little things to do to it. I need to take apart the door panels and glue the carpet trim pieces back in. After looking at my extra set of tail lights, I decided for the rear fog I'd best just mount one under the bumper instead of trying to integrate it into the tail light housing

The buffing saves me from getting it repainted for now anyway since it looks halfway decent, I'm not quite ready to take that step as I need to fix some rusting issues on the fenders

• 4 months later...

My 505 runs great other than the cold start issue, I've just been trying to do some preventative maintenance and running into trouble finding parts. I'll see if I can grab the fan. The one i found doesn't have any wheels and sunk down into the mud upto the rotors. It's been ignored for a while it seems, the owner of the parts yard didn't even know it was still there!

Grabbed another fog light switch, gonna see if I can rig up a rear fog from it. I don't speak or read any french, so getting stuff off ebay france or french websites is a no go for me :D

Thanks for your input guys.

hey kevin my names dane im pretty new to the forum,

but on the cold start problem if you havent figured it out yet,i had the same problem and couldnt figur it out for the life of me but one day i was looking real hard all day and i finaly found the problem it was the fuel pump i was turning it over, over and over again and i notised right when it finaly started i herd the fuel pump turn on so it just ended up being that the fuel pump wouldnt turn on when its cold so id sugest going into your car and try to turn it on when its cold and lisen for the fuel pump if you dont hear it then thats your problem :) good luck!

Nice!

I like the mudflaps-even though they're not my piece of pie :P

If you can get wax from a dealer they have a special buffing brand(s) that guys on a route sell. You have to buy it in bulk, but the stuff they use is literally night & day compared to the auto parts store stuff. I'll try to get a list of the names you might be able to source if you havent already used it.

• 2 weeks later...

Before:

P7260019.jpg

That's quite a nice looking fleet, by the way. My 505 shares a driveway with a '91 Audi 200 Turbo quattro and a 1972 Mercedes 280SE 4.5 (And an '83 Volvo 240 Turbo, for that matter) Throw in the MGB and the Toyota cargo van I have stashed at my folks' place and that's six cars from six different foreign countries!

Hmm...maybe it's time to buy an Alfa...

That's quite a nice looking fleet, by the way. My 505 shares a driveway with a '91 Audi 200 Turbo quattro and a 1972 Mercedes 280SE 4.5 (And an '83 Volvo 240 Turbo, for that matter) Throw in the MGB and the Toyota cargo van I have stashed at my folks' place and that's six cars from six different foreign countries!

Hmm...maybe it's time to buy an Alfa...

hehe... since Peugeot isn't returning anytime soon I can hope for an Alfa MiTo hatch... right <_<

The Audi 5000 and Mercedes 300d in that picture are both now sold... but I have an 80 Audi 5000 Diesel that I need to rebuild a injector pump for :( so it is taking up garage space...

on a totally unrelated note, I was talking with a Registered Importer and apparently you can get a Peugeot 205 without any restrictions as long as it isn't driven more than 2500 miles per year (... oh darn, the odometer broke...)

• 1 month later...
Guest italiogem76

I dont know if you guys know, but the 505 had a long run in both Argentina and Chile in South America

Look on http://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/ and type in peugeot 505 in the buscar box, then hit IR

not sure if any of you can speak or read spanish

I can cause of my italian and portuguese heritage :D