Need Engine for '86 505 Turbo

First the exhaust from my '86 505 Turbo (that I have driven since buying it new) started smoking, and now apparently the turbo has failed. I will probably have to part with the car, but thought I'd check to see if anyone has a replacement engine in good shape for sale. I'm in eastern Virginia. Thanks.

If only the turbo has failed - why replace the motor? Turbos are pretty dirt cheap these days, and rebuilding one that just has failed seals is really quite easy...

If the car is bellowing out sweet smelling white smoke however - that indicates burning coolant in which case a different motor would be a good suggestion...

Rabin

If only the turbo has failed - why replace the motor? Turbos are pretty dirt cheap these days, and rebuilding one that just has failed seals is really quite easy...

If the car is bellowing out sweet smelling white smoke however - that indicates burning coolant in which case a different motor would be a good suggestion...

Rabin

Thank you. I think that does describe the exhaust. The symptoms leading me to believe the turbo has failed are a dramatic loss of power; the turbo gauge does not climb with acceleration; a rattling noise from the turbo's vicinity; and from the same vicinity a loud explosive gas-release noise that occurs every 15 minutes or so while driving. Someone suggested the problem could be a clogged catalytic converter, but the noises are coming from under the hood.

Yes - that definitely sounds like the turbo has failed... If you pull your intercooler it'll likely be filled / coated with a fair bit of oil as well.

Replacing the turbo is much easier than a motor swap, so if this is something you still want to do, it would just be a matter of either having your turbo rebuilt (as long as the turbines didn't touch the housings), or getting a replacement Turbo.

I have a spare turbo I rebuilt with new seals and bearings, as well as a mild port job on the exhaust housing if you can't find one locally - but shipping from Canada might be fairly high. I'd just want the cost of the kit out of it. (Sadly I paid $300 for the rebuild kit from Turbonetics) If you rebuilt it yourself you can source bearing and seals much cheaper as I found out later...

If the rest of the car is in good shape - and you're willing to spend the money to fix it, it should be well worth it!

(BTW - my 505 Turbo came from Virginia as well, and when purchased it had a failed turbo as well. My brother put a used turbo on and it worked great.)

Rabin

Yes - that definitely sounds like the turbo has failed... If you pull your intercooler it'll likely be filled / coated with a fair bit of oil as well.

Replacing the turbo is much easier than a motor swap, so if this is something you still want to do, it would just be a matter of either having your turbo rebuilt (as long as the turbines didn't touch the housings), or getting a replacement Turbo.

I have a spare turbo I rebuilt with new seals and bearings, as well as a mild port job on the exhaust housing if you can't find one locally - but shipping from Canada might be fairly high. I'd just want the cost of the kit out of it. (Sadly I paid $300 for the rebuild kit from Turbonetics) If you rebuilt it yourself you can source bearing and seals much cheaper as I found out later...

If the rest of the car is in good shape - and you're willing to spend the money to fix it, it should be well worth it!

(BTW - my 505 Turbo came from Virginia as well, and when purchased it had a failed turbo as well. My brother put a used turbo on and it worked great.)

Rabin

Thanks for your help. I've taken the car to another shop for their assessment.