My 505 GTDTurbo runs on vegetable oil

brownie

Last week I converted my 550 GTDTurbo to run on vegetable. The first two cars I converted (604 and 306) did have quite some issues of leaking air in the fuel system, but this time it seems to went very well. No problems whatsoever the first 1500 miles.

You have to make sure the oil is preheated before it enters the fuel pump, otherwise it is not liquid enough and will damage the pump. Normally the heating is done by the heat from the cooling liquid and a second fuel tank is installed to be able to start on diesel if the engine is cold.

This is globally the scheme of my conversion. There are basically two fule circuits of which one is heated by the heat exchanger (WW). With matnetic switches (klep) I can choose the fuel tank to use.

ombouwplanppo1-1.jpg

Main point for me was to keep the car as originally as possible because it is still in fantastic condition and had low mileage. I succeeded in that! No parts were replaced or removed, no new holes drilled and now hoses cut. I installed all "engine" parts of the conversion on one unit which I can easily remove as a whole.

ombouw505gtdt024.jpg

ombouw505gtdt025.jpg

This is the set with a piece of rubber under it because it will be placed onto the battery. This is in fact the only free space under the bonnet.

ombouw505gtdt055.jpg

The extra fuel tank:

ombouw505gtdt050.jpg

Additional filter and fuel pump:

ombouw505gtdt052.jpg

Although the tank is 90liter, I still have quite some room for luggage:

ombouw505gtdt054.jpg

No hole drilled for the fuel hoses, I found original holes:

ombouw505gtdt053.jpg

Great job on the install Brownie - looks fantastic!

The range of your car with both thanks full should be amazing! Any idea if there'll be any weight issues if both tanks are full?

As for the new tank location - that's where all the North American tanks are... Still leaves a decent enough space - but I still envy the under trunk location since the trunk becomes HUGE without the tank.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliments.

Indeed my range is large with both tanks. In total I can take 160liter with which I should be able to do 2000km or over 1250 miles. I still drives nice with bioth tanks filled. The second tank if of aluminium, so completely filled it still weighs only about 100kg or 200pounds. A 505 should be able to cope with such an amount of luggage.

But last weekend I went to get as much oil as I could because the station where I can get it is quite far away. I was able to put an additional 10 cans of 20 liter in the trunk. So on the way back I carried almost 400kg (800 pounds) of luggage and fuel. On the highway it goes well, but I scratched the bottom of hte car a bit on a speedbump because the back was really very low to the ground.

Yes, without the tank, the luggage room is immense. By installing the I lost at least 120 liter luggage space, but I can still have 200 liters fuel in cans in the back. So total trunk Volume of euro 505's should be almost 500 liter I guess

• 3 months later...

Hi There.

Looks like a nice conversion. I have an XD2S and a -3T that I'd like to convert also and I want to ask some questions.

How is it running now after how many miles? Did you do a compression test before conversion for later comparison? Did you bother to advance the pump injection timing? How is it working to have a heat exchanger and no heated filter?

Your responses are greatly appreciated,

Andrew K

Olympia, WA, USA

1984 505 STI TD XD2S

1982 504 Wagon XD3T

1982 504 Wagon XD3T

Sorry for the off-topic post - but Andrew can you provide more details on the 82 504 wagon with the Xd3T? I have an 83' 504 wagon and still trying to figure what to do with it. (Ranges from 4x4 Toyota frame under it, to the XD3T with 5-sp manual...)

Thanks!

Rabin

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the off-topic post - but Andrew can you provide more details on the 82 504 wagon with the Xd3T? I have an 83' 504 wagon and still trying to figure what to do with it. (Ranges from 4x4 Toyota frame under it, to the XD3T with 5-sp manual...)

Thanks!

Rabin

Sorry to be responding so late, Rabin. I seem not to have gotten an email notifying me of your message. Anyhow, it's just a straightforward US-market 504, 3spd, originally with an XD2C, now with an XD3T from a 505 sedan. It's still kind of a project without every little thing wrapped up neatly, but the engine is in and she runs and drives. It would be nice to get a taller top gear for highway driving, but it's kind of a beater anyway, and I use it for utility. The 505 is the commuter.

Cheers!

Sorry to be responding so late, Rabin. I seem not to have gotten an email notifying me of your message. Anyhow, it's just a straightforward US-market 504, 3spd, originally with an XD2C, now with an XD3T from a 505 sedan. It's still kind of a project without every little thing wrapped up neatly, but the engine is in and she runs and drives. It would be nice to get a taller top gear for highway driving, but it's kind of a beater anyway, and I use it for utility. The 505 is the commuter.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply... (no worries on the lateness - project is WAY down the list!)

Mine is an 83 504 wagon as well with the 3-sp auto. There's a 505 sedan with an XD3T and a rebuilt 4-sp auto ($1000) that I'm really tempted to fit into it. Would mean some changes to the torque tube, but I'm also playing with the idea of putting the IRS of the sedan under it... Wouldn't have the carrying capacity - but would be a much nicer handling car.

Still like the idea of just dropping it on a Toyota 4x4 chassis as well... ;)

No time for it now though... No time for anything car related sadly...

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ouigpt

Could I get you to write your first book? It's title might be "SVO for Peugeot Dummies". In addition to a flow chart, could you label components on your pics{maybe flow arrows also}?

How do you filter svo to the point that it doesn't plug "stuff" up? I'm so ignorent{notice I didn't say stupid} that I don't even know{before conversion} if there is a separate fuel pump or if the injection pump does it all. My diesel stable consists of a '78 504 and an '86 TD.

Hopefully, I'm not the only dummy out there...misery loves company.

Gil

Last week I converted my 550 GTDTurbo to run on vegetable. The first two cars I converted (604 and 306) did have quite some issues of leaking air in the fuel system, but this time it seems to went very well. No problems whatsoever the first 1500 miles.

You have to make sure the oil is preheated before it enters the fuel pump, otherwise it is not liquid enough and will damage the pump. Normally the heating is done by the heat from the cooling liquid and a second fuel tank is installed to be able to start on diesel if the engine is cold.

This is globally the scheme of my conversion. There are basically two fule circuits of which one is heated by the heat exchanger (WW). With matnetic switches (klep) I can choose the fuel tank to use.

ombouwplanppo1-1.jpg

Main point for me was to keep the car as originally as possible because it is still in fantastic condition and had low mileage. I succeeded in that! No parts were replaced or removed, no new holes drilled and now hoses cut. I installed all "engine" parts of the conversion on one unit which I can easily remove as a whole.

ombouw505gtdt024.jpg

ombouw505gtdt025.jpg

This is the set with a piece of rubber under it because it will be placed onto the battery. This is in fact the only free space under the bonnet.

ombouw505gtdt055.jpg

The extra fuel tank:

ombouw505gtdt050.jpg

Additional filter and fuel pump:

ombouw505gtdt052.jpg

Although the tank is 90liter, I still have quite some room for luggage:

ombouw505gtdt054.jpg

No hole drilled for the fuel hoses, I found original holes:

ombouw505gtdt053.jpg