Re-powering a 405 Mi-16...

Hey guys,

I was thinking last night about Trevor's gorgeous Mi-16 that had a timing belt failure. It occured to me that for the cost of repair you could easily swap in a VTEC Honda powertrain, SR20DET FWD powertrain - or even a VW TDi to make a hell of a decent car...

You'd have the wicked handling of the FWD chassis the 405 is known for - with the reliability of a newer powertrain.

Sounds funny - but there's a guy in Regina SK that's quite famous in North America for his outrageous engine swaps that have been in Sport Compact car many times. Some of his achievements include a Northstar FWD V8 powertrain into a VW Golf, an 01 TDi 6-sp into a 1990 Jetta (almost bought that one), and all sorts of Honda engine swaps... Check them out here: CWS Tuning

With the availability of engine swap stuff for Honda's - that seems like the ideal swap since it even keep with the spirit of the Mi-16.

Just bouncing ideas around - I don't have an Mi-16 and I think there was only ever 1 in all of Saskatchewan.

Rabin