Thank you!

peculiar33

I just want to give a quick "Thank You" to everyone in this forum for the help you have given me. This is not only for those who have replied to me directly, but also for everyone who has shared a problem and their answers to them. With the information and knowledge I found here, my Pug is happy again (mostly). It is drivable again, so now I can turn my attention to the German car. I have a set of euro lights on the way, and when I get everything installed, I will be sure to get some pics posted for everyone.

Glad you were able to stick it out and get it back to a healthy state. When they're running well - they are VERY rewarding cars to drive. Easily one of the most under rated / not even known about cars on the road.

So how did you resolve the rusty strut issue? And what was the final issue with the stumble?

Rabin

Oh yes, those struts... Well, I have left them on the car, since I have to drive it for the time being. I went over them with a wire brush and a stripping pad to remove the big stuff, then I put some primer on them so they do not get any worse. The front right shock insert is leaking, and so is the left rear shock. I have ordered some "other" brand to replace them. Don't worry, I found them cheap, and they will just be there long enough to get the originals properly reconditioned. The stumble has been reduced now that everything else is nicely tuned. I think I have narrowed it down to a marginal NTC and a cheap fuel pump (brand new in November).

Instead of primer which actually holds moisture (it's not sealed to moisture) - I'd look at something like POR-15 for them. Seals them really good and bonds to the rusty stuff.

If not POR-15 - make sure to paint them with some sort of paint like Tremclad otherwise the primer will likely make it worse.

Hope to see some pics soon!

Rabin