What color to paint my 505?

So, the time has finally come to give my car a needed new paintjob- ive had enough with the crappy 10 yr old Maaco Job. Before i do so, i'm getting EVERYTHING sanded down, and some rust spots cut out, welded, and bonded at some minor parts. the rust isnt that bad on my car right now, only i bit below the front windsheild and around the rear top of windshield.

so here's the big problem. i cant make up my mind of what color to paint it!

1. the original paint code Claret mettalic (option on the 1983-84 505 STI models

or

2. the original (or close) to the bright red paint color from late 80's 505 turbo (like Vic's red).

The thing is, I'm worried about making it look TOO bright.

...But i need to hurry up. I have some new parts (front underspoiler, turbo spoiler, turbo grille) and i need to sand them down and get them ready.

I also have a lead on a nice set of turbo rims w. tires, that i might want to install, but i'm thinking about completly refinishing the sti rims.

Hey Rob,

If the colour change is done properly - and you can't tell that it was Claret Metalic before then red might be an option - but doing it properly is usually quite a bit more costly. (Door jams, trunk, under hood etc etc.)

I would suggest doing the OEM Claret red or trying to find a really nice modern dark red that's VERY close to it... Close enough that the difference to the Claret isn't that noticable when you open the doors and such.

I had an 86' 505 Turbo that was the dark red and when it was waxed it was stunning. If the paint guy is good he can even tweak it some with a subtle pearl or something to give it nice modern touch.

Should look very nice with all the new parts on it though! Are you going to get the headlight housings painted to match the body? (That might look cooler than the silver - especially if the grill is getting painted too... Probably need to p'shop it first though to see what it would look like.)

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

What kind of estimates did you get Rob? Is it around $3000?

I'm dying to paint my car but I just can't afford to right now, it's more important to keep it running.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to repaint the same exact color, but I do think that trying to "modernize" a classic car by choosing a modern color is wrong. (just my personal opinion) I'm not planning to match the factory color, because I don't think it was anything special to begin with. What I think I will do, is match a color from a classic English make, like Jaguar or Land Rover.

Just PLEASE don't paint it yellow... haha! :angry:

actually, theyre a little bit lower

around 1.5-2.5.

i'm trying to get lower, as my friends dad owns a local shop (not commericalized).

Also, I have a freind who works there...so i hope i get a okay deal there.

some others that im considering is; miracle body&paint, and some other place called Alameda Collison