Turbo 1983

brownie

Yes, I bought a Turbo from 1983. Never had such a car, but I think already it's the nicest 505 to drive!

It's not perfekt, it needs some work on the body (bit of rust, no dents) and the head gasket is blown, but then again it was very cheap. 150hp, 5 speed manual (automatic Turbo's don't exist in Europe I believe) and around 80.000 miles.

Here are some pics:

Sortiede1.jpg

TI_83_150I.jpg

TI_83_150E.jpg

Excellent addition to the family Brownie!

Glad to see financial issued didnt prevent you from attaining it - and I agree completely that they're the best driving Peugeot of all... They really are fantastic performance sedans that do everything well.

Rabin

Thanks,

I'm not that strong financially, but for $500 I couldn't let this one go. I bought it from a friend of mine, that's why the price was quite friendly. Especially in France, where the car comes from, the Turbo's are very sought after.

Another $500 to fit the head gasket should make a technically good car. This spring and summer I have enough time to fix the small issues on the body work.

It's amazing how much nicer the euro bumpers and small side moldings make this car look...

It's not feesible to find and have that kind of stuff shipped over, but I'm hoping to be able to get close with some custom fabrication for bumpers and rear tail lights...

It's just so much neater and compact looking. Even the front spoiler looks better!

The car does look familiar though - I think V-M's Turbo project car is the same colour...

Rabin

I agree with you Rabin, 100%.

I would LOVE a pair of euro bumpers/styling on my car.

When I go to France this summer, I am hoping to find a junkyard or a wrecker that i can buy some parts from, and ship em back with me to California.

They just look so nicer compared to the large bumpers we have!

The car does look familiar though - I think V-M's Turbo project car is the same colour...

It might be, but I think V-M's Turbo is grey (Gris Winchester) while mine is more blue (Blue Glacier). As far as I know these were the only two colors available for the Turbo Serie 1. Off course both the cars are two-tone colored with dark grey on the bottom.

By the way, it should not be that difficult to get a bumper shipped over to the US I think? If you're willing to pay the possible high shipping expenses. I can look around for some euro-spec turbo pieces. I will anyway because I now have a Turbo myself. :(

Actually - if they are crated and shipped via sea then it's not that expensive at all... All things considered. Can you tell me what port you'd be closest too and I'll do some checking on line - more so out of curiosity than anything else... :(

If you happen to find duplicates - I'd be interested in the front and rear bumpers, front spoiler, and the rear tail lights with centre section...

I'd much rather do a euro swap then custom if possible... But if they're rare to come by then no worries! A while back I was also thinking of changing the fuel tank to the euro style under the trunk - but I think I'm now going to go with a fuel cell in the future anyway...

Keep us posted on the progress too!

Rabin

I'll take some pics if I find a Turbo for parts, but indeed Turbo's are rare in Holland.

I am closed to Antwerpen (Anvers) but Rotterdam is also quite close and might be easier, it's one of the world largest ports.

The car is still in France, I'll keep you informed off the travel to Holland.

Hey Rabin.

Well, I will be staying in Paris, then going to Nice, then going back up to Lake Anesee, then Switzerland.

Otherwise, I was thinking of maybe getting it all boxed MAYBE, and having it come with me on the plane ride, checked in.

I'm afraid they might break things like euro lights, etc.

Let me do some research on yards around france...

• 1 month later...

Finally I had some time to collect the car last weekend. The headgasket is fixed in France. Some other minor things I will do in Holland like the exhaust. Here are some pics together with my GTDT from the road back home:

R0011158.jpg

R0011178.jpg

R0011177.jpg

R0011179.jpg

Unfortunately the engine is not running smooth, at least not at low rpm. I changed the spark plugs already, but that made no difference. Especcially when I start driving, the car is "shocking". At high rpm though it seems to run perfectly.

Has anybody an idea what this could be? Somebody told me it could be air flow sensor, if the turbo has one. Any other suggestions?

It might be, but I think V-M's Turbo is grey (Gris Winchester) while mine is more blue (Blue Glacier). As far as I know these were the only two colors available for the Turbo Serie 1. Off course both the cars are two-tone colored with dark grey on the bottom.

True, mine is grey. But there was also at least white option in series 1 and that has no dark grey lower part (Toni has white one). So at least 3 colors was in series 1 turbos.

Nice looking turbo you have found ;)

V-M