1984 505 GL Turbo Diesel

Greetings,

I had my battery slide forward and short the car to a stall on a bumpy road. ( mount busted)

After I got it home, (tow) I set everything back in place, and she would only click at the solenoid on the starter, I tried 2 new starters (rebuilds from Mexico) same, only a click. And they spun on the bench.

I found a place that has rebuilds from the states here, and will order one from them.

One suggestion was to put new ground straps and battery cables, as they got a little "hot".

I put a new pre heater box & battery. I will do all the cables and grounds. But could they have given me a starter for the wrong vechicle. They didnt ask for VIN's at auto zone, but online they ask.

I cant think of anything else that may be wrong, as she ran perfect from Anchorage to Key west and back here to S. Az at 51 mpg @60 mph. I really like this reliable car and bought her with 78,000 miles, just turned over 100,000 when this happened. Any help from you PEUGEOT people would be greatly appreciated.

All I have done is remove the a.c. which was non operational, and rattled. I dont use a.c and dont plan on selling her, if YOU folks can help me get er done. Thanks

David

Welcome to the forum David - and WOW - Anchorage to Key West! That's seriously hardcore!

As for your problem, 505's have an issue where the ign switch wears to the point that it isn't sending a strong 12V signal to the starter to get it to crank over. To test this apply battery + to the small wire on the starter to see if it engages on the car...

If it starts - then you'll need to wire in a relay that uses the existing wire as the signal wire and then have a fresh 12V switched by the relay to the starter. Common mod starter relay mod

Keep us posted as I can't really see it being the starter issues. If not this, I'd guess grounds need to all be cleaned and cables need to be checked as shorting out the battery may have caused a lot of grief to them.

BTW - post some pics too if you can - be nice to see this car that has none one of the biggest road trips ever!

Rabin

• 1 month later...