my 85 turbo

Hey since im killing time at work... I thought id introduce my whip..

Its an 85 turbo that I picked up in July for $500.. It had 190,000 miles on it then and ive driven it about 2500 miles.. So far its been the best car i've ever owned.. but I've never paid more than 600$ for a car anyway.

Problems I've found

Shocks are pretty worn out and it bounces around way too much.. Im planning to get that fixed when i have the $$$

Sunroof is leaking all over... I wish i'd fixed that before it started raining...

Burns a fair bit of oil/ Smokes on startup

Parking brake doesnt work very well..

According to the mechanic I need new rear calipers to fix that... no rush

Theres a bit of rust around the back wheels ... not too bad

So far I've replaced spark plugs and added water watter to the coolant... and put in a cd player so I can rock out..

I ordered a cone air filter off ebay.. as the stock one is super dirty and i'd have to order a replacement anyway.. Plan to replace the theromostat and plug wires before winter too if I can find one..

..Got a mechanic to check it out ( it smelled like gas fumes real bad so he fixed that and tested the compression .. decent ).. Im lucky that I found a local garage that specializes in Renaults n Peugeots...

I like the car a lot.. especially the turbo boost and the general feel.. I dont need a fast car as i've got a sport bike for that.. but I could use a bit moore power.. I was thinking about getting an intercooler from a junkyard and trying to hook that up... THis is an 85, so it doesnt have an intercooler stock..

Any comments/suggestion are welcome.. Oh did I mention this Is my daily driver? Even better.. I sold the beater toyota you can see parked next to it for $225 .. so im only into it for a couple hundred so far.... :D

post-256-1191497349.jpg post-256-1191497465.jpg post-256-1191497430.jpg post-256-1191497295.jpg

Congratulations on the car.

Understand that parts are drying up for these cars and try to rewind the clock on it's normal ageing process.

Stock shocks are the best in the world. A patented 6 valve unit. I've got the original shocks on mine and no amount of fancy paint and stickers on new ones (KYB, Tokiko, Tien, etc.) makes theirs better than Peugeots. Look at yours, I bet someone replaced them with "better" ones in the past. They are rebuildable.

Also, do yourself a favor and start making a "list" of fixes and to-do's. It'll probably be quite long, but start gathering the six (6) factory manuals that your car requires. It took me 18 months to gather them for my car.

If you bring the car back to stock and add the N9TE/A intercooler setup, you'll have the ultimate sedan. A much nicer than a BMW in my opinion.

wow!

great car!

I'm hoping to soon swap my engine with a N9T

Speaking of shocks-

i just jast my shocks/struts and bushing replaced a few weeks ago, and theyre all oem. the stock 505's suspension components i think are great, (just that i am going to cut off 2 coils off though, soon) to give the car a little more sporty look.

wow!

great car!

I'm hoping to soon swap my engine with a N9T

Speaking of shocks-

i just jast my shocks/struts and bushing replaced a few weeks ago, and theyre all oem. the stock 505's suspension components i think are great, (just that i am going to cut off 2 coils off though, soon) to give the car a little more sporty look.

NorCal, Where did you source the suspension parts from? Around how much did it run you? Suspensions defintely the next thing to do once I get some money together..

I would be hesitant about cutting springs though.. My roomate did that on his mustang.. and now its just pretty much totally f*-ked ...

lol

yeah, the thing is that finding aftermarket (sport) springs for the 505 is the hardest s*** ever.

I think there are some out there, but theyre somewhere out in europe where us north americans dont really know about

i know a company called Dalhelms in Sweden, but I'm not sure if they still make them for 505's.

as for my suspension parts-got em off my local peugeot mechanic-sam koka.

he has experience from peugeots and working on them in israel.

trust him.

infact, the car is there right now, sorting some minor followup issues on the bushings.

ill ask him for his parts source when i pick it up in a few days, and ill let you know.

lol

yeah, the thing is that finding aftermarket (sport) springs for the 505 is the hardest s*** ever.

I think there are some out there, but theyre somewhere out in europe where us north americans dont really know about

There are companies that "make" springs to order. A place in Seattle called "Benz Springs" does just that. I can't say anything much more about them than that. No experience, knowledge of costs, etc. But if I were to ever change the springs on my car, I'd keep the stockers and have some made up to spec. You could even bring your old ones in to give them an idea and something to work with.

There are companies that "make" springs to order. A place in Seattle called "Benz Springs" does just that. I can't say anything much more about them than that. No experience, knowledge of costs, etc. But if I were to ever change the springs on my car, I'd keep the stockers and have some made up to spec. You could even bring your old ones in to give them an idea and something to work with.

Hey Koll!

Thats sounds intersesting

Do you have any contact info on them?

My hunch is that if we were to ask them to make us custom springs that would be pretty expensive.

In the mean time, I just had some new shocks installed, and the car has been back at the shop since monday having some issues sorted out-also some work on the clutch B)

but the difference between now and before(the suspension had not been touched since the 80's)

is incredible.

very smooth, and comfortable

a few weeks ago it was bouncing so much that I thought the tires would dig up into the fenders.

lol

i know a company called Dalhelms in Sweden, but I'm not sure if they still make them for 505's.

as for my suspension parts-got em off my local peugeot mechanic-sam koka.

he has experience from peugeots and working on them in israel.

trust him.

infact, the car is there right now, sorting some minor followup issues on the bushings.

ill ask him for his parts source when i pick it up in a few days, and ill let you know.

Dalhem has discontinued those springs and the manufacturer don't make them anymore, as was stated in this thread: Suspension

Hey Koll!

Thats sounds intersesting

Do you have any contact info on them?

My hunch is that if we were to ask them to make us custom springs that would be pretty expensive.

In the mean time, I just had some new shocks installed, and the car has been back at the shop since monday having some issues sorted out-also some work on the clutch B)

but the difference between now and before(the suspension had not been touched since the 80's)

is incredible.

very smooth, and comfortable

a few weeks ago it was bouncing so much that I thought the tires would dig up into the fenders.

I'll get the information for you on Benz Springs. Were the shocks you replaced Peugeot ones or MonroeMatic or whatever? What did you replace them with?

I see the STI-type cars (XN6, ZDJL - aka naturally aspirated 4 cyl cars) as perhaps the best daily drivers. Wonderfully kind to the driver yet able to dig down and fight it out when necessary (thinking mainly corners).

thanks koll.

I am checking with my mechanic. I didnt quite have the time to jack it up and see, but all i saw was that they were white painted shocks with a red logo (again I couldnt really see it well)

I'm going to drop off the clutch I just got in the mail from Western Hemispheres today or tomarrow.

I'll let you know for sure.

-Rob

I see the STI-type cars (XN6, ZDJL - aka naturally aspirated 4 cyl cars) as perhaps the best daily drivers. Wonderfully kind to the driver yet able to dig down and fight it out when necessary (thinking mainly corners).

Speaking of this I just smoked a co-worker in the twisties out in the boonies (in the Turbo) The 505s lean but, they stick to the road like molasses. Co-worker couldnt believe how fast I went around the turn (dumb, but I did it)

No wonder the wife wont let me drive her car.