Faking a Dangel...

Bean

So after seeing Brownie's latest purchase - and tossing out how I've always thought about body swap would be cool using a Toyota chassis - I decided to put a little effort into the possibility after being offered a rolled 88' regular cab long box 4x4 for $~500. (V6 Auto)

I figured I'd check the wheelbase as the first to eliminate my foolish idea... Turns out the Toyota 4x4's usually run a 103" wheelbase (4 runners and extended cabs) which is much too short for the wagon's 114". However - Further searching revealed that the regular cab long box has a wheelbase of 113"!

That means that the truck that I'm being offered is pretty much the only 4x4 platform that could even work... It also appears that the V6 auto has upgraded brakes and suspension - so it's worth considering even if I were to do a powertrain swap...

I'm going to try and verify the condition to see if this is still worth the attempt... I don't want the extra project, but it might be the only way I can save my 83' 504 wagon...

Hard to shake the idea of a 4x4 504 wagon though - it'd be seriously trick!

Rabin

Holy crap Rob - you really do mine the crap outta the internet!

Nice work! But I was really hoping to find a reason why I shouldn't! So hard to turn down a running truck for $500 though... Decisions decisions!

Rabin

Great memory to remember which mag you saw it in!

The more I look at the pic of the 504 sedan the more I know that if I did this to my wagon - it'd have to look a lot more "Dangel" like. Probably stock sized rubber, and the body mounted as close the the fram as possible... At first look I'd want people to question it - and not immediately know it was a body swap.

I don't want a rock crawler or to go mudding - just some camping and maybe some easy trails... Also something that could tow fairly well would be great...

Looks like a big ass project though - which makes it even more daunting...

Ah well - I'll still investigate some more - get a better idea of what I'd be in for.

Rabin