boost in the project car...?

Guest adegnes

Guest adegnes

I read that you've run 21psi of boost in the "505turbo project car", what else was done to the engine? I've heard running more than 1,2 bar will damage the stock turbo, so... did it die? did the engine explode? :(

I read that you've run 21psi of boost in the "505turbo project car", what else was done to the engine? I've heard running more than 1,2 bar will damage the stock turbo, so... did it die? did the engine explode? :(

nah i think it hit 21psi for one night while running some crazy fuel additives. trevor would be the one to ask, but i think the boost was running around 15-17psi for quite a while (over a year?).

the 1.2bar limit on the turbo doesn't sound right at all. i've heard of 25-28psi spikes with the stock N9TEA turbo.

the bearings in the standard turbo is the simplest there is for turbos, an open sliding bearing without fixing. That type of bearings are not suitable for boost above 1,2bar! Sure you can have spikes above, and the turbo might hold also with constant boost above that, but its not designed for it!

There are a few mods one can do; You can screw the bearing to the housing, and thereby decreasing the axial play and wearing.

And then there are 360deg. bearings, they have bearing surface around, more surface=less wearing. And then there are the japanese hotrodding favourite; Ceramic ballbearings, with obvious advantages, though they tend to wear out faster, and they are damn expensive...

//Peder

• 2 months later...

Turbo never died, engine eventually died after some heavy abuse.. haha. I think we only boosted in the 19-21'ish range on a cold winter night with a gallon of xylene in the fuel or something. THe car ran about 16 psi for quite some time and stayed healthy, but some balls out redline driving alongside a friend's SRT4 ended in the cracked pistons and then the rebuild.

After all the rebuild work the car is running a happy 10-11 psi with the front mount IC and has some impressive power. It'd be safe to say that i've got a good 20 horse increase over stock. I would hope so for all the meticulous shit i did to that motor. It's my daily driver now so i can't beat the living shit out of it.. haha. But i'm extremely happy with it as is and am expecting it to last for some time... maybe i can turn it into a project again when i get another car. i still wish i got the chance to do megasquirt.