• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest adegnes

update:

SInce look's is'nt what I'm going for, I've decided to just cut out a piece of sheetmetal, slightly overlapping the sunroof hole, and just bolt it on, with some silicone to seal it....

this will certainly be the most lightweight sollution..

Guest adegnes

Removed the ABS brake master yesterday, wonder what I'm going to replace it with... any suggestions? Maybe one from the volvo 200, 700 or 900 series, theres alot of those cars around here, i should be able to get hold of one cheap...

I'll get some pics posted later today.

Guest adegnes

I'm wondering what kind of brake-system I'll go for...

Could get a brakemaster with vacumbooster from a non ABS 505

or, maybe ditch the powerbrake sytem and bolt a bigger cylinder directly to the pedal, wonder if I can get enough force with no power assistance...?

I own a Wartburg 353 1969 (old east german 2-stroke car) it has no power assistance on the brake system, and brakes just fine...

seen alot of racecars without assistance to... hmm....

Ideally - getting something like a Tilton dual master cylinder would be the trick way to go. The have separate masters for front and rear with a bias bar between the two that allows you to adjust brake bias front and rear.

It's a manual set up (no booster) so depending on what calipers you use, you could size the masters accordingly.

Volvo 4 piston calipers bolt onto the Pugs with no problems (need the 240 Turbo calipers or the ones for vented disks) but they'd be a nice cheap upgrade. (Heavy - but good.)

Keep us posted - it's looking decent! I'm also impressed with your progress - keep up the good work!

Rabin

Guest adegnes

Volvo 4 piston calipers bolt onto the Pugs with no problems (need the 240 Turbo calipers or the ones for vented disks) but they'd be a nice cheap upgrade. (Heavy - but good.)

The volvo calipers are "bolt on" fit, no modifications needed?

There's ALOT of 240 tuning people around where I live, and ALOT of upgrade calipers available...

I'll look into it...

Any suggestions for coilover's? could it be that vovlo parts can be used here to... hmm...

It should be easy to find something to fit the rear axel, but the front's harder...

The calipers bolt to the strut and have proper spacing for the disk yes - but the Volvo calipers from the 240 also have two brake lines per caliper. Two circuits are used - one set of pistons on each front caliper and one rear caliper on each circuit - so if one circuit is comprimised - it will still brake both front wheels.

The dual master set up is definitely trick - but make sure there's a way to adjust brake bias. A balance bar between the two masters is a simple elegant design, or a bias valve on the rear line would work too.

As for the calipers available - I checked here for other lighter calipers that may be used for the 240 Turbo since they'd bolt onto the Peugeot too - but apparently nobody really upgrades them since they're quite good already. I found one guy that used aluminum Mazda RX7 calipers on the Volvo - but it needed spacers and an adapter to fit it. If you find any sources for bolt on caliper upgrades for the 240 Volvo - keep us posted!

BTW - with a little modifying of the bracket - the front calipers from a non turbo 505 will fit on the 505 rear disks. No park brake assembly - but there's a way to set up a hydraulic parking brake using a clutch master to actuate the rear disks... :)

Rabin

Guest adegnes

one...

My experience is that the high pitched, ugly sound you get from poor silencing, is usually dampened by the turbin housing on turbo cars...

If it gets too loud, I'll add a small, straight through silencer from simon's racing (cheap)

Guest adegnes

I'm going to fit a piece of sheetmetal where the backseats was, to seal of the trunk from the coupe, then I wont need a batterybox.

Location of battery:

post-113-1174544718.jpg

Some pic's of the new dash, will add on it to make it follow the crossmember all the way on each side.

post-113-1174544737.jpgpost-113-1174544748.jpgpost-113-1174544759.jpg

got lights!

post-113-1174544778.jpg

Trying out the wiring:

post-113-1174544769.jpgpost-113-1174544789.jpgpost-113-1174544799.jpg

more coming soon...

I've decided to start a new thread on my 505turbo.

This is cool ! Is there a particular formula (or catagory of racing) that you are building it to ?

Guest adegnes

This is cool ! Is there a particular formula (or catagory of racing) that you are building it to ?

Thank's!

No, not really, its moe of a "just for fun" project...

I see you have some experience with wheel spacers on your car.

I'm thinking about making a set to fit some bigger wheels with a narrower bolt pattern. To reset the changed offset, maybe some adjustable strut tower's would do the trick...? Hmm...

something like this:

post-113-1174663201.jpg

Thank's!

No, not really, its moe of a "just for fun" project...

I see you have some experience with wheel spacers on your car.

I'm thinking about making a set to fit some bigger wheels with a narrower bolt pattern. To reset the changed offset, maybe some adjustable strut tower's would do the trick...? Hmm...

something like this:

post-113-1174663201.jpg

Funny, I was just looking at something today to adjust camber. It was a very simple slotted plate from a Volve 740. But (at least for racing or a track car) the car already has -3 degrees camber (hold your hands in front of you, finger tips in, at 45 degree angles then think about leaning into a corner). What you'll find is the inside tire has lost contact with the surface of the road). What you want is + caster. My car is bent and has more caster than most anyway.

I hope I'm not preeching to the quire (meaning you already know all that)

Adjustible strut mounts will only let you play with camber and sometimes caster (depends on the unit) - offset won't be affected - so you'll need to do the math so that the inside edge of the rim is within 10mm of the strut housing. (As close as possible with not rubbing)

You'll need to do some math to figure out which wheel to use so that it fits properly. I worked it out with mine and I'm going with re-drilled hubs with a 5x120 BMW 5 series bolt pattern and wheel. The 7" wide BMW wheel with a 20mm offset is supposed to fit perfectly.

Rabin

Guest adegnes

Adjustible strut mounts will only let you play with camber and sometimes caster (depends on the unit) - offset won't be affected - so you'll need to do the math so that the inside edge of the rim is within 10mm of the strut housing. (As close as possible with not rubbing)

You'll need to do some math to figure out which wheel to use so that it fits properly. I worked it out with mine and I'm going with re-drilled hubs with a 5x120 BMW 5 series bolt pattern and wheel. The 7" wide BMW wheel with a 20mm offset is supposed to fit perfectly.

Rabin

Hmm...

What I ment was; if I manufacture a two axis adjustable strut mount, maybe I could "reset" a change in offset by tweaking camber/caster...

Dont know if this is possible though...?

The spacers I'm thinking of getting manufactured will be pretty beefy:

something like this, but with changed bolt pattern:

post-113-1174900942.jpg

But, If I can get hold of some decent wheels, with enough offset (maybe as much as 70mm!!) I guess I can forget the whole adjustable strut thingie....

I want these wheels:!

post-113-1174901356.jpg