505 turbo alternator

august

does anyone know if the 505 turbo alternator is interchangeable with

any other cars?

I'm looking for a new valeo alternator (non-rebuilt), but i'm really

not looking forward to the "peugeot premium". also, does anyone know

the valeo part number for the 505 turbo unit? or know where i might be

able to find one cheap? ($330 from western hemispheres, ouch!)

any info would be appreciated.

UPDATE:

part numbers:

Lucas A1274

Paris-Rhone A14N59

Paris-Rhone A14N88

Peugeot 570512

Peugeot 570566

Valeo 432806

Valeo 436320

PFI A-PR14894

...basic info:

Description: 12V, CW ROTATION, 80 AMP, Internal Regulator

I went down that road. Not fun. No real interchangeability I came across. Realistically, if you had to, you could make nearly any alternator work. The tricky part would be mechanical - ie: correct fitment.

However, there's a much easier route and you get to keep you stock Valeo. Have it rebuilt. I had mine rebuilt and it worked fine for 6 months and then took a poo. Turns out the jobber brushes wore down in that time. I must've put a whole 3,000 miles on it.

Anyway, I happened to have in my stash a new Peugeot brush/regulator assembly and once that went in, it was fine. The charge indicator in the dash still ever so faintly glows when idling with lights on and I hit the brake pedal, but so far, I'm keeping the battery charged as intended.

Other rebuildables required for an alternator R&R are readily available to rebuild shops - bearings, etc. The only thing that will really cause you grief is the armature or stator. Those things nearly never wear out.

If you're going to tackle the alternator job, do yourself a favor and tackle the power steering issue(s). At least the part where the PS resevoir douches the alternator.

Cost to me was $100. The correct regulator/brush assembly for my car (87 S - N9TE/5sp, alternator Valeo A14N88) is a Paris-Rhone unit (pn: 5761.67). W-H has them for $97. :(

• 4 weeks later...