N9TE rebuild details wanted...

Bean

I'm curious how you made out with the rebuild parts that were needed for the motor? Bearings, guides, rings etc...

Please tell!

As for my Turbo Dodge ECU - I've begun the process by acquiring the full harness for the TD and I'm working on stripping it of unnecessary wires (A huge amount!) and figuring what I need to keep and what can go.

This ECU also controls the cruise control so I want to see if it's possible to put that on the car as well.

Interesting if it all comes together.

BTW: I'm making detailed instructions just in case it works - should be a good guide for others if it works well. (super cheap upgrade too!)

Later...

Rabin

Hi Rabin! The rebuild is going along slowly. The machine shop is taking its time... As for parts i'm kind of skimping on some of the stuff. It's not getting new bearings because i just can't stomach even more cost. i figure when those go i'm probably pretty much finished with the 505 or i'll figure something out at that time. I had the machine shop order valve guides and stem seals from dubarr and supposedly that has been a success. I'm getting a 3 angle valve job done on the head, and i've done a bit of porting work to it as well. The block is getting honed and reringed. I'm using the deves rings from WH. Oem headgasket from WH as well, and an OEM bottom end gasket set that august hunted down. I happened to find an exhaust manifold and intake manifold gasket on ebay a while back that i purchased. So it looks like everything is falling into place. Oh yea and the whole bottom end is being balanced as well so i cant wait to see how that works out. I should be back on the road shortly to get my smog done, and then the intercooler and all those fun things will get put back on. I think i'm going to be a little kinder to the motor until i can get some good management going. I've been looking at megasquirt and droooling for quite some time now. I think i may go that route as it has the wideband AF target capabilities, but definitely keep me updated on the TD ecu!

Hey Trevor - Glad things are coming together. As long ast the bearings are in decent shape, and the clearances are good you should be laughing. Just use good oil and change it often.

As for the TD ECU - I just got a complete wiring harness that I'm about to splice into the Peugeot wiring harness. I want to see if I can splice in as much of the TD functionality into the existing Pug instrument cluster - IE the check engine light flashing the yellow det LED - things like that.

Here's the documentation that I'm working off of so far - it's provided by one of the guys on the D-cal forum that did the swap on to his Merkur 2.3L Ford.

I still have to get the ECU and sensors - but the biggest most involved job is getting the wiriing harness built - and since I want it to be seamless and better than factory - it's going to be as integrated as possible.

After all is said and done - the entire engine management system should be able to be replaced for very little $$$ and it should even be able to get diagnosed by a cheap code reader...

Check the info out for yourself:

http://www.merkurboys.com/smec/

there may be some pics in here that could help you as well:

http://www.merkurboys.com/pics/index.php?a...cu%20conversion

dont consider any of this stuff permanant, urls and content will most

likely be changing, but something should always be available on either

the merkurboys.com or merkur-xr4ti.com domains.

-----------------------

Rabin

Sounds awesome Rabin! New engine management is really gonna make the 505 into a new monster, i can't wait for that! I'd love to use some better connectors too. The uninsulated oem (engine bay) connectors aren't all that great. Are you going to change those too?

My bearings looked pretty good and i do plan on using good oil and changing it often so hopefully i can get away with it.

Yep - the entire wiring, connector, and sensor "system" is being taken and adapted to the Peugeot.

Moving to the MAF system take a huge bottle neck out of the system - combine that with 3 bar MAP sensor for mapping boost and fuel curves, and an electronically controlled wastegate and it makes for a potent combination that exceeds Megasquirt for this particular application. (Turbo 2.2 L 4 cylinders). It won't really be as an easy a swap on any other motor - but if if works I'll be looking at doing an install on an XN6 motor and keeping it NA.

Connectors are definitely crappy on the Pug's - so the move to the TD stuff should be a big improvement. If I come across any shady stuff I'll swap in my old Subaru connectors. (Fantastic rubber seals - pull them apart and they still look new!)

I'm now just waiting to get some time where I can sit down and "map" the wiring diagrams from the car systems to the ECU so I can use as much cross over as possible. I'll then have to figure out what's left over and find resolutions. That's going to be the biggest project and will likely take place this winter on the car - trial and error till I get it nailed.

Should be the most potent upgrade for the N9TE yet. With stock bits and an upgraded turbo - 300 HP shouldn't be out of reach at all.