New to the world of Peugeot

Guest puck_supra

Guest puck_supra

Well first off. Hi yall!! Ok, now to the point. I like most of my friends have alwas been an amarican built cars only, but in the last few mounts i have bought a toyota Supra. I have realy enjoyed driving it but after a little run in with a cop and 30 not being able to drive and one big fine later, I have desided to look for a car that dosnt stick out so bad. Ok now to the good part!! i have foud an 198? Peugeot 505 turbo 5 speed. It is in good shape 99% sure it runs. i think the guy said it needs a few rust holes fixed and need rear swing arms. he is only asking 500 for it and well i just was wondering if it was a good buy. O ya the motor was rebuilt a few thosond mile ago.

The rear swingarms are hard to find, but if you can find swingarms in good shape, and the motor runs well then I'd say it sounds good.

That is if you can find "new" rear swingarms.

I assume that by 500 you mean 500$

The rear swingarms are hard to find, but if you can find swingarms in good shape, and the motor runs well then I'd say it sounds good.

That is if you can find "new" rear swingarms.

I assume that by 500 you mean 500$

These swingarms are the weakest point on the 505. That's why they are very hard to find (for a reasonalbe price), even here in Europe. The previous owner of my 505 did change them about 3 years ago at the local Peugeot dealer. Off course, that's not the cheapest way, but he had to pay 550 euro per new arm, excluding the work. The final bill was 1300 euro (about 1500 dollar)! Because there are hardly any technical problems with 505's, here in Europe the value of a 505 is completely dependent on the condition of the swingarms.

I hope you're gonna save this car, but expect that to get the car in good shape, costs more than the 500 dollar you paid for the car.

Guest puck_supra

Well I am glad this forum is better than the Supra forum I am part of. All they want to do it bash on hondas. But back to Peugeots. $500 US dollors is the asking prick for the car and I figured the rear swing arms where going to be the bigest problum. Being that I am located in the US and in the northeast finding a Peugeot dealer is not likly. But the good news is I work at a welding shop and a friend of mine builds hot rods in his spare time. So I was thinking about constructing my own set of new rear arms. And another plus is that I myself have been doing autobody for the last few years so any body work isnt a problum. Well I am going to go try and dig up some more info on the car and I will let you all know what I find. And thanks for all the help.

P.S. What can I exspect for power number out of this car, and what can it handle if I start doing mods to it. I would like to try and maybe see 300hp the crank

finding a good used set of rear arms here in the US wont be that hard at all I dont think. Call some california auto wreckers and have some pulled. As long as their's no rust, they'll be fine.

Peugeot dealers don't really exist anymore, but there places to still get OEM parts.

As for power, its up to you. Maybe you should order a full race motor from france that puts out 500hp :unsure: .... 300hp seems possible, but I don't know if too many people here have reached it yet (thought I think quite a few people on this forum are still working on their latest project 505).

also, find out what year 505 it is, or post the VIN or someting.

a few links you might be interested in:

project car:

http://www.505turbo.com/project505.php

specs:

http://www.505turbo.com/US_505_turbo_specifications.php

engine info:

http://www.505turbo.com/peugeot_505_turbo_engine_history.php

engine sketches:

http://www.505turbo.com/peugeot_505_turbo_...ne_sketches.php

Guest puck_supra

Ok I got the down low on the car. It is an 1988 505 S Inercooled. Vin is VF3BA7165JS420608. Now the engine code I am not totaly 100% on this is what the tag on the bottom side of the hood said. 2.1M5-2.1A4 then under that it said 2.1AM5-2.1ACA4. Like I said befor I am still learning about the peugoets lingo. As far as the rear swing arms go they are really bad I look under it and can almost see completly threw them. There is also some rust under both rear 1/4s but it isnt all that bad. Then ther are two spots under the hood just out side the hood latches where the front fenders and radiator suport meet the body.

I kind poked at it and got some of the rust out of the way and I think it will be no problum to fix. I have some pics of it and if I can figure it out I will post them a little later.

Ok I got the down low on the car. It is an 1988 505 S Inercooled. Vin is VF3BA7165JS420608. Now the engine code I am not totaly 100% on this is what the tag on the bottom side of the hood said. 2.1M5-2.1A4 then under that it said 2.1AM5-2.1ACA4. Like I said befor I am still learning about the peugoets lingo. As far as the rear swing arms go they are really bad I look under it and can almost see completly threw them. There is also some rust under both rear 1/4s but it isnt all that bad. Then ther are two spots under the hood just out side the hood latches where the front fenders and radiator suport meet the body.

I kind poked at it and got some of the rust out of the way and I think it will be no problum to fix. I have some pics of it and if I can figure it out I will post them a little later.

wow, nice! the 88 and 89 turbo are the rarest and most desireable (especially the 89). The engine code for the 88-89 is N9TEA. Its also nice that you found a 5 speed, most N9TEA's seem to be automatics :unsure:

best of luck, and i hope the deal works out for you... keep us posted!

Guest puck_supra

Ya I been looking around at other posts on the forum and I was begining to think that i might have found one of the less comon peugeots(I never remeber if I spell that right) Well I just got the call to go back to work so now that I will have cash flowagain I am going to get the car. It might be a few weeks befor I will beable to get it home and dig into her thow. I have posted in another chat rooms on this forum that I have noticed that some of you have old 505 siting around as parts cars. And I wanted to know if anyone had a set of good swing arms that you would be willing to part with or might know someone else that has a set. I cant wait to get it home. I have a few plans already and i got all winter to get it ready for next summer. Well I will keep yall posted and get some pis of it on here as soon as I can get the camra and computer talk to eachother again.

P.S. I am going to paint it over the winter and was wondering what you guys and girls(if there are any) had for ideas. I am going for a sleeper look so no big decals or racing stripes. The interior is blue but I dont realy know what to do about the outside. My Supra is blue with a silver stripe down the side and my truck is also blue. It is just soild blue at this time but I am thinking about adding a sublime green and purple pin stripe to match my 4 wheeler.

Guest puck_supra

post-121-1160579115.jpgpost-121-1160578292.jpgpost-121-1160578589.jpgWell it isnt officly mine yet:( but I know the guy that has it pretty well. He isnt advertizing that he is selling it. I just when and asked him what his plans where for it. He told he he wants it to "Go away". I asked him how bad he told me well make me an offer. I told him $500 and he said ya that will make it go away.:unsure: I go back to work friday so it will be at lest 2 weeks befor I get payed (the pay cycle at where I work if screwed up) But shut downs start soon so I will have the money for it in no time I have a few pics of it right now thow. Here are a few of them I will try and get more soon.

Hey brownie I am intrusted in those swing arms do you think you could maybe check on shiping and figure out the exchange rate from US to Euro and let me know. I have done a little looking around localy and havent found any thing. I live in Lee ME Of the USA zip code is 04455. Thanks for all the help I will let you know when I get it home.

Guest puck_supra

That would be AWSOME!!! Cus if I cant find a good deel on a set I was just going to fab a set myself. :unsure: Luckly if is dose come down to fabing a set I got a guy that is good at doing that stuff.:( Well I have a ton to do to get realy for work so I will talk to yall later.

I have a couple sets, but I'm in Saskatchewan Canada. I'd have to pull them out and prepare them for shipping, but they'd likely be cheaper then getting new ones from Europe.

Depending on how nice you want them - I could also look at getting them blasted and painted if you wanted - $$ goes farther up her I think than in bigger cities.

Let me know if you're interested and we'll go from there.

Rabin

Guest puck_supra

Hey Rabin or is it bean?? Well as far as I can calulate I am looking at $500 US dollors to get a set from Europe. That is with out shiping. I never have shiped any thing over sea or out of the US.:huh:. I would guess around probluy 2 to 3 hundred to ship them from europe to me.<_< How much would you want for one of your sets? Dont worry about blasting and painting them I can do that it will be a few weeks befor I will instill them anyway. At the moment I am a little short on funds so get me a price and I will let you know if I want them maybe we can work something out if the price is right:). But thanx for the help

Peugeot dealers don't really exist anymore, but there places to still get OEM parts.

I'm not sure if you really can trust this list, but I found 2 Peugeot dealers in Maine:

MAINE

McElman, Inc.

Route 1

Woolwich, ME 04579

207-443-9781

Snow's Garage, Inc.

Route 175

S. Penobscot, ME 04476

207-326-8822

For the rest of the US of A click here.

Maybe it's known here already, but quite some information can be found here

Well, I contacted my friend with the swingarms. Unfortunately he used them recently on a 505GTDT he is restoring. He still has a lot of other 505-parts, but he said that people could come and collect them. He is not really willing to ship large steel items, especially not to foreign countries. Anyway, if you can get good used ones in the USA or Canada, it's surely less expensive than getting new ones from Europe. Further more, I'm not really sure if they are 100% the same. There are a lot of small differences between European and American 505's.

Good luck!