4HP22 Holds First Gear When Warm

trymes

I know that diagnosis at a distance is iffy at best, but I thought I'd throw this out there: I am looking at 505s, and one car (belonging to a member here, no less) looks very nice, but has what sounds like a typical 4HP22 fault: reluctant to upshift out of first. Normally, though, I hear of this issue happening when the transmission is cold, and the problem goes away once warmed up. However, on this car, the problem manifests when warm and goes away once the car has sat for a while.

Some online resources point to a potentially clogged filter, but then mention that the problem goes away when warm, while most of what I have been able to piece together points to a governor problem. Any insights from the community as to what might cause this?

The car is a long way from home, and I'd love to be able to drive it home and deal with the issue after the trip, especially as I would literally have to drive past Eriksson in CT to get home. Also, is this more of an annoyance to be dealt with when convenient, or is this an issue that will ruin the transmission if driven?

Many thanks,

Tom

PS: The transmission was rebuilt 6-7 years ago.

OK, I spoke with Eriksson, and the best guess was (unsurprisingly) the governor. Perhaps worn O-rings allowing leakage? I also found this thread on a Land Rover forum where a user had used the wrong Loctite product on a bolt, causing the governor to move and the O-ring to disintegrate.

Either way, I'm guessing that the tail of the transmission is going to have to come off, which has me wondering how hard of a job that is, given that the 505 uses a torque tube. On most cars, I'm guessing that you just unbolt the driveshaft and slide the tail off of the transmission, but with a 505, I'm guessing it's more involved.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Tom

Edited by trymes
Fixed a typo.

Hi Tom - Welcome to the forum!

The fact that it clears when warm has me thinking the governor could be dirty / gummed up - warm parts will have tighter tolerances than cold parts - so to me - if it's varnished up, the governor will be sticky when warmed up.

If the governor needs to be done - You are correct that the torque tube would have to come off, but it's not that big a deal as the rear diff can be unbolted and slid back with the torque tube enough to disengage the transmission side.  It's tricky but doable.  Alternately it's just 4 more bolts to remove the torque tube from the diff and have full access to the tailshaft.

Another option could be the shift solenoids in the valve body - hard shifts could be attributed to stick solenoid plungers. 

If it was me: I'd drain pan and refill with proper ATF, and a highly recommended ATF conditioner (Lucas?) to see if that'd be enough to clear up the issues. I'd also make sure the kickdown cable was adjusted properly just to make sure.

As for damage - hard shifting does very little damage - it's the slipping sloppy shifts that destroy clutch packs, or are the symptoms of work out clutches.  If it shifts hard then you're probably fine.

Rabin

• 2 months later...

Yes, thanks for asking. It was an issue that the seller had disclosed before I had purchased the car, but he brought it to a shop and they could not replicate it. I also have not had it happen, so I have no idea what the issue was, if there ever was one, and if maybe the seller was confusing the wastegate issue with this (how?).