Rustprevention

I don't know how it is in the USA (especially the northern states), but in Holland rust in the biggest problem for the 505 (and lots of other old cars). The 505's that are still driving in Holland have had several rustprevention treatments normally. What are the methods used in America to stop or prevent rust on your car?

Some people really trust their method and do serious testing!:

_beach.jpg

Hi Brownie,

Being from one of the legendary winter areas in Canada (Saskatchewan), we too have a lot of issues with rust. Peugeot's for the most part are non-existent here, and the ones that do remain, are usually in rough shape due to the salt used in the winter.

Rust prevention when new is to have the car professionally treated with something like rust check or a similar rust proofing technique. It's quite effective if done right since they tap into all the nooks and crannies to spray into. (Drilling access holes if necessary)

If the cars already have rust - your only fool proof method is to cut the rust out and weld in new panels to replace the rot. (I'll be doing just that on my 76' 504 sometime in the future.) If the rust is just surface rust, then you might be able to get away with bead blasting the rust out, then using something like POR-15 to treat the area so that it doesn't come back.

POR-15 is quite well known as a method to use when restoring a car, and I'll definitely be buying a gallon when it comes time to do a full resto on the 505 and the 504.

Once the rust is eliminated - most guys have the car rust proofed professionally.

Guest the505inme

I got so sick of watching even rustproofed 505s rust, I stopped driving mine in the winter.

Since then, I rustproof every 2 years, and have not seen any rust yet. My turbo has not seen snow or salt in over 10 years, and I think it's the only way to keep a 505 rot free in the snow belt.

I live in Toronto, BTW. When it actually does snow, they use tons of salt. It's not pretty!

that's one thing i really like about living in california <_<

all the 505's that i've owned have been california cars, and none have had/have any rust at all.

what is the deal with salting the roads? aren't the alternate methods by now that could work just as well? the only time i've spent in cold weather is in oregon, and they use cinders there (no salt that i know of).

Guest the505inme

I don't know how it is in the USA (especially the northern states), but in Holland rust in the biggest problem for the 505 (and lots of other old cars). The 505's that are still driving in Holland have had several rustprevention treatments normally. What are the methods used in America to stop or prevent rust on your car?

Some people really trust their method and do serious testing!:

_beach.jpg

Are you sure he's not just waiting for the tow truck while the tide comes in? <_<

what is the deal with salting the roads? aren't the alternate methods by now that could work just as well? the only time i've spent in cold weather is in oregon, and they use cinders there (no salt that i know of).

Salt works quite quick to melt the snow. Here in Europe all countries use salt too in case of snow except Switzerland. There they use sand. Sand does not let the snow melt quickly, but it gives a lot more grip on the steep slopes in Switzerland and it's better for the cars. Most of the classic cars that are imported to Holland the last years are of Swiss origine. There you can find virtually rustfree old cars in original state, although they have the most snow of European countries.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

And here in Finland they use both, the salt and the sand. Result: continuous sandblasting with salt water = lots of rust! :D

The cars also cost a lot in Finland, due to enormous taxes. So many old cars are welded over and over again.

What I have done to my Peugeot, is to cut the rust away, and weld new sheet on. Then I paint the patch with zinc spray, add filler if needed and then primer + paint. Under the car I put bitum based protecting stuff over the paint. Looks like molten asphalt, or tar. Inside the doors etc. I use other rust protectant, which forms a brown, waxlike surface. When sprayed, it has very low viscosity, so it finds it's way to small holes and crevices.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my Turbo treated with Dinitrol.

Before they did that, the car was cleaned with pressurized hot water to remove all the goo.

The car was left in a garage to dry for some days.

Then they injected this waxy stuff as well as a new underbody coating.

It's a brown waxy fluid.

New holes were drilled to get access to difficult parts like the rear wheel arches.

Unfortunately, I had to work at the fuel pump under the car after a few days so I was also covered with rust-protection...

It did cost me 800 euros....