N9T, E, EA Garrett turbo part number

ganun

Thanks Rabin,

Its good to know that a T3 kit works, a shop should be able to rebuild it, but I'm sending it out, I'm not familiar with the details,  the Limit Engineering and Majestic Turbos shops looks good to me, any experience with these???

The low/no boost condition pretty sure has been ID as a draggy turbo, i.e. it spins freely but stops rather quickly, (almost immediately) after the twirl test. The RED label turbo in the car now, has lasted 2 years in service, shows Peugeot part no. 0075.19 which is for SEDAN up to 87 and WAGON up to 88.

So i've had the wrong unit in my car these last couple of years, should have had 0075.23 ( SEDAN from 88, WAGON from 89) for my 89 wagon!!!!!!!

Green label in the pic is from the previous turbo, before the RED label, one that was in the car lasted 20 yrs and 275k miles before it started to smoke, but it must have been replaced by the PO, the label shows no ref to Peugeot #s.

I wonder what the differences are between the two, 0075.19 and 0075.23 ......anyone???????

P4100680.jpg

Green label 1.jpg

Green label 2.jpg

Green label 3.jpg

Green label 4.jpg

The later EA turbos should have .48 A/R exhaust housings on the sedans - pretty sure the wagons had the .36 A/R housings since they had the detuned 160HP ratings - but that's a guess.

Bigger turbos are quite rare - but I can check if you like.  Btw - does your car boost to 12 psi stock?  (12 psi being stock N9TEA level)

Rabin

11.6 psi , while stock, the book shows wag and sedan same p/n. IRC one of the ecus is different.for the wag. Btw , I run the sedan ecu.

can't measure A/R but I measured the green label which has a compressor trim of 49, turbine trim 156. The turbine casting seems to have a A/R 36 cast into it.

A/R is cast into the housing - I've never seen any documentation on different stock compressor wheel dimensions so I can't comment on any specific differences.

I knew you were running the sedan ecu which is why I asked the psi - previously I thought there was an overboost function which gave the 180 HP, but Joe Grubbs set me straight that it was a boost increase to 12 psi that was responsible.  (Wagon has ecu controlled wastegate correct?)

Rabin

Yeah, ecu control....

Here are some pic of a spare turbo I got from BH , looks like the correct type:

1) Comp outlet  #42 

2) Ex side, correct #  AR 48

3)  p/n 466-718, TBO 346

4) Except.....during a rebuild someone put the wrong center-section, NOT water cooled!

The pic from the shop manual looks like style in the pics below, note the nuts on the exhaust exit section.BH turbo 2.jpg

BH turbo 4.jpg

BH turbo 5.jpg

505 Turbo 1.jpg

BH turbo.jpg

Hi George,

The turbo shown is from the first 85' 505 non-intercooled turbo N9T engines.  I have an 85 505 turbo, but I've never had the turbo out, and never saw how different the housing was.  Looks very Ford like, but also looks like the wastegate exhaust would be a fair restriction to exhaust flow compared to the later style. 

85's did come with the larger .48 AR housing, and it was not liquid cooled.  Again not certain of the actual turbine wheel differences, but if the .48 housing fits on the later liquid cooled center housing - you'd essentially be making the later style turbo.  (Assuming same turbine wheel dimensions between both turbos)

Funny that a lot of diesels will use .36 AR housings, and nowdays .64 is considered tiny!

Rabin

Mystery SOLVED!

My 89 never had the correct turbo since I bought it in 95.

The turbine housing has been the one piece, AR # unreadable,....... should have 2 piece housing AR #48.

The GOOD,.... an actuator I got 15 years ago as part of the Danielson sport kit ( head, cam, h gasket, actuator) didn't fit the turbo in the car and I always wondered why not. Well it fits perfectly with the 2 part exhaust housing.

The new mystery is what was my old turbo, maybe it was the type for the 87s N9TE ?????.

Pics below show the differences in the hot side housing and how the new actuator fits the two part housing.

Green label Ex housing 1.jpg

BH turbo 3.jpg

Dani Actuator fits AR48 type hot section.jpg

Actuators Dani L, green label R.jpg

Hi George,

Very cool discovery!   If the exhaust turbine has the same dimensions then you should be able to have it built with the liquid cooled center section of the newer turbo.

Now - if that is a proper 5 bolt T3 ford bolt pattern like I think it is - you would have some nice upgrade options since that stock style is notorious for causing a lot of turbulance and high pressures which restrict exhaust flow.  If the pattern is the same:  http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TP&Product_Code=ATP-WGT-023&Category_Code=

Should still work with the Dani wastegate too, but you'd need to get your downpipe modified.

Rabin

Thanks Rabin, Yeah I am excited about this now,I asked BH to send a water cooled center section then I'll get it overhauled ( no sense installing questionable parts). I'll ask around to find the correct way to adjust the actuator link length

Good web site...

Wastegate usually gets set up so that there's a certain amount of preload.  Not sure about Peugeot, but Volvo specs 5 psi before the wastegate cracks open.

Keep us posted on this George , I'm very curious how the turbo comes together, and more importantly - how the car drives/boosts!

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

Summary of findings.

N9T- 42 AR intake, 36 AR exhaust, single piece exhaust casting, angled wategate acuator,  48 AR exhaust, 2 piece exhaust casting, straight actuator link, no water-cooling.

N9TE- 42 AR intake, 48 AR exhaust, 2 piece exhaust housing, straight wastegate actuator, 36 AR exhaust, single piece exhaust casting, angled actuator link, watercooled.

N9TEA-42 AR intake, 48 AR exhaust, single piece exhaust housing,  angled waste-gate actuator, watercooled.

The compressor and turbine wheels are the same for all versions, same trim, compressor trim is 49 (42/60), turbine trim is 156.25 (60/48).

So the difference is in the turbine housing:

1)  48 AR two piece housing N9T

2)  36 AR single piece housing N9TE

3)  48 AR single piece housing N9TEA

A visibly larger hole for the exhaust to spin the turbine on the 48 AR version. This change should be noticeable at higher rpm, no loss of boost.

WP_20160409_010.jpg

WP_20160409_013.jpg

Hi George,

The N9T (1985) should have the .48 AR, and the 2pc housing.  

The N9TE should have the .36 AR, watercooled center section, and the Cosworth style housing.

The N9TEA should be .48 AR, watercooled center section, and the Cosworth housing.

Total aside - but I got JJG's turbo from years ago that he had Forced Performance redo.  The compressor was machined to fit a much larger compressor wheel in the stock housing.  .48 AR exhaust housing was left stock.

What's your plan for your rebuild now?

Rabin

99% postive yes - I'll need to ask Hugh to confirm though as I traded him my 85' 505 Turbo.

That 2pc hotside could be the hot ticket with a new exhaust housing exit I linked, and the dani wastegate.  Stock 2pc housing would be way more restrictive then the later Cosworth style hotside.

When I'm back home I'll take some pictures of the .48 AR hotside.

Rabin

BH says the opposite, i.e. later versions are 2 piece ??????????????

I am getting another from Dubarr, 89 car with blown hg, lets see!

Eventually one will get a rebuild.

This (is/was ) my best attempt, but now I'll have to see if a 48 one piece shows up.

48 with Dani Actuator.jpg

This will be a first for me, but I thing BH is wrong.  I know my 89' 505 Turbo sedan is a one piece .48 AR exhaust, and I've owned 2x '86 505 Turbos - one turbo which I rebuilt that was .36 AR. 

I've never looked at the 85 up close however - so I'll get Hugh to confirm.

Rabin

Unfortunately I'm away from home this weekend. However, I might be able to check this anyway, as there's a disassembled N9T and its turbo sitting in the trunk of one of my parts cars. I'll have a look for sure. And I'll look at the '85 on Monday as well. Will be interesting to see.

Thanks for confirming Hugh!  

With the info George has compiled, it looks like we have a pretty good idea of the turbos offered, and that mixing and matching housings between years is doable.

Looks like the '85 exhaust manifold also has a blocked port that might be a good spot for an EGT probe as well.

Rabin

Thanks guys, its settled then. The issue has been put to rest.

I have a sort of hybrid then, using the N9T 2 piece 48 turbine housing , with a watercooled center and common compressor side. The reason for this is simply that it allows the use of a new  Danielson 16lb adjustable wastegate actuator thats been sitting on a shelf for years. I am satisfied that the center section and rotating wheels are the same and so is the compressor side.

Are you leaving the 2pc 48 outlet stock or considering an upgrade?

The later style 48 'Cosworth' exhaust housing will flow much better stock to stock than the 2pc 48 housing.

If you're using the Dani wastegate at 16psi then I'd highly recommend seeing if that 5 bolt housing works, and upgrading the downpipe to the catalyst.

I'm actually thinking of the 2pc set up for my built T3/T4 hybrid, and the 3" v-band flange downpipe as that should be the most efficient housing once it's upgraded.

Rabin