Centering steering rack?

bergxu

Gents,

Does anyone know if there is any way to center the steering rack on a 505 turbo (i.e. lock it into a center position) in order to remove for overhaul? On the old steering boxes on Mercedes, there was a special tool, a pin, which you inserted and which engaged into a notch on the pinion inside the box. Just wondering if the Pugs have anything similar.

Never heard of such a thing on a rack & pinion. The splined shaft can only attach one way, and when installing, I've only centered the rack and it's bolted up no problem.

Leaking pinion seal? Make sure to chèck the ram bushing, and if its shot you likely have cracked metal lines.

Rabin

I have done both racks on 505 & 405 and not seen any way to center lock the rack.

Only way in my opinion will be to try lock steering wheel straight key out and paint mark where the pinion meets steering shaft then disassemble.

And still wont guarantee a straight steering wheel to front wheels on reassembly. Just one notch off on pinion and that's it.

Just drive straight, stop, loosen nut, remove steering wheel by vigorously pounding left right with fists till it rock's loose and replace straight, tighten nut......done.

Even if there's no leaks i would suggest changing top pinion seal seeing that you're going all the way, after all that seal is over 20+yrs am sure.

Almost 100% sure the steering joint will only go on the pinion shaft one way, so if wheels are straight, and steering wheel is straight, you're all set. When you install you center rack between lock to lock, and if the steering wheel is straight the joint slips on like you lined it up on purpose. :)

Rabin

Yep you're right Rabin i had a look at a spare rack i have and it can only go onto pinion one way. One 1/4 on shaft has splines and smooth rest 3/4 with a groove opposite spline side for pinch bolt to pass. Unless the design was changed on some models.

Bergxu the indicator/turn signal is canceled by a fixed stub on bottom of steering wheel so if you do have to remove wheel it wont affect the line up when you put it back on straight.

Matter of fact if the wheel does end up off center after reassembling the rack, that will throw off the cancellation point a bit anyways.