505 V6 Alternator

I have an intermittent red light. I am running a volt meter out of the cigarette lighter now, and everything is OK when the car is cold.

The belt is a little loose,but I don't think it is the problem.

I think this must be heat-related, because as soon as the car gets hot sometimes I am running 11.9V. When starting out 14.4V it varies, and, under load, 13.2V. Numbers are not necessarily accurate, but for degree of magnitude. I can be running 11.9V and lugging along, but if I hammer it, it might just jump to 13.9V. The only predictable thing is the unpredictability.

I think hot wires can produce higher impedance, and I believe diodes might be affected. If I have this thing bench tested, he'll say it's OK; I do not think he can reproduce the heating in the engine compartment.

Has anyone had anything similar happen?

Also, what's the easiest way to get at the alternator? Yes, I know it's at the bottom right of the engine, I've crawled under. But I'm old and grouchy, and would like to minimize guesswork and the time on my back.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Bill,

I'm about to embark on this exact task shortly. Just ordered my replacement alternator off of eBay. While I do have ramps, I'm thinking of putting it up on stands and removing the passenger side tire. Will let you know how I fared once done.

I'm old and grouchy too, thankfully I have a garage to work in as I hate working on cars in the winter.

Peeter

So, I just finished the alternator swap. I took my time and it took about 2-1/2 hours start to finish, including cleanup. I put the car up on ramps and worked mostly from above, but also below for the pivot bolt and the wires. Here's the steps involved

1. disconnect battery

2. remove air filter and filter box

3. remove fresh air hose below filter box

4. move the charcoal canister under and next to the filter box out of the way.

5. remove wires and bolts from alternator (wires and hinge bolt from below and top bolt from above.

6. remove alternator from above

7. replace new alternator from above and button up in reverser order.

The old alternator was charging in the mid to low 13's but when the lights were on it was in the 12's. The new one was showing 13.89 and 13.77 with the lights on. I will be driving it for a few days before handing it back over to my daughter.

Peeter

ps it helps that it was sunny and 50 today,

Peeter,

Thanks for that, it looks easy enough even for me. I do not drive my V6 in the winter (I live in NH), so this is not a pressing need, but I do need the clutch slave cylinder replaced, which is definitely beyond my inclinations right now. Today was a nice early march day here, too, I could have driven The Silver Bullet even without the heat. Just to confirm, however, this is the same unit that goes in all late model 4 cyl Peugeot engines?

• 2 months later...

I ordered on eBay from an outfit in LA, supposedly the same alternator, it looks exactly like the one I had in my ZDJL but it's opposite hand to what was in the V6. And the offset on the pulley is different.

I dropped off the defective unit at a rebuild shop close to my house; he can turn it over in a day if he's not busy.

Miles data indicates it's the same part, everyone else does, too. I'm addled.

post-35-0-44745500-1426590190_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-69460000-1426590212_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

You needn't buy a new alternator in most cases.  Just tell your local starter and alternator rebuild shop that ITW (the major supplier in their service industry) has all the parts they need to do the alternator job. Expect to get it back in perfect working order in 3 days, if the your local shop is on top of it.   When buying replacements, ensure the spin direction is the same either CCW or CW, mounting holes are spaced the same and the flanges are the same thickness as the original... cutting and filing isn't a lot of fun; the pulleys are easy to change out, use a vise to secure the alternator and an Allen key goes in the center and a std spanner unloosens the collar nut.   

Thanks, Rob. That was a couple of years ago, but the fun of changing the alternator is always fresh in my memory.

I have a friend (if you can believe that) who operates an independent electric motor-starter-alternator shop and has parts for these orphans.

I've dealt with him for more years than I can care to admit.