'89 505S V6 Very Odd Occurence

I've been driving this car for the past two years, and it's been bullet-proof.

Last week I had the first uninspiring moment. Ambient temp was about 95F. I had driven forty-five miles at highway speeds. Everything normal.

I had to stop for ten minutes right off the highway. Afterwards the car wouldn't start. Just a feeble click. I tried twelve or thirteen times.

I grabbed a young man to give me a push and we jump started the car. Everything was normal except the BRAKE ning light was on. The light didn't go out. After I arrived at my destination and the car had sat for an hour, it started normally, and the BRAKE light was out.

Any suggestions. I am not taking the car to Roger.

Thank you.

Hi Bill

The brake light can be a multiple items from simply having low fluid, loose contact to thin brake lining. More serious is the ABS pump or sensor. Whether the problem starting is related or a separate is a more difficult question.

Have you done the starter relay mod?

Since the click was feeble after driving, may have to do with the battery/charging system

Keep us updated

Arun

These are notorious for needing the starter relay mod eventually - so that's my guess, but Arun's other points are completely valid as well. I'd also suggest battery terminal and cables to add to your checklist.

Rabin

Ditto for the starter relay mod. It's so easy to do, but very important. There might be an outside chance that the ignition switch is involved. I had a 505 where the battery light was coming on, even though everything was fine. It was the switch.

-Bill

• 2 weeks later...

There's a lot of write-ups if you googly moogly it. Here is one example:

http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/solenoid.htm

Basically you avoid the voltage drop that occurs when the power runs from the battery, to the neutral safety switch on the tranny, through the firewall to the key switch, and back out the firewall to the starter. The distance the current has to flow is shortened considerably.

Bill