Waterpump rebuild on the N9T engine.

Peder

Well as most of you have read in the matra-forum, you can rebuild the pump yourself!

I have know tried it on a peugeot pump,

I bought a qcp 977 pump, made for misc. Peugeots and talbots, and pressed the bearing and seals out.

The good news is that it has the correct diameter of the bearing and axle, end of good news...

If you want to use it with the original mag.clutch, you cant use this bearing. The axle is about 20mm shorter than the original, and the bearing and seal total length is about 10mm shorter, and the seal-part sticks out to much on the inside of the pump, so you cant get the impeller close enough to the housing.

But for me it will work fine though, i have the engine in a 504, and the N9T is longer than the xn1-engine. so with this rebuild i can shorten the whole pump housing 10mm, and use a diferent beltdrive.

And shorten the impeller about 4-5mm so that it will get the right clearance to the housing.

So the rebuild will be functional, but it is not a plug-and-play operation.

Thanks for posting this info Peder. I attempted the same thing last winter, but I screwed up when pressing the N9T shaft out and I broke the N9T pump housing (Didn't support it properly when pressing the shaft out.)

I assume you were using the N9T water impeller? I knew the pulley end was much shorter, which was ok for me as well as I want to run a normal pulley, an electric fans. Problem I had not addressed yet was what pulley would work and line up properly - if you find something that works please keep me posted! If it's from a euro car - I'd be interested in buying a second pulley for myself if you happen to find something that works.

My ideal solution is to do a serpentine conversion on the motor, but that'd would be a lot of trial and error trying to find a suitable engine to donate pulley's that could be modified to the N9T engine. (Crank and water pump pulley modified to fit, then use different alternator, ps pump, and AC pulley)

Rabin

Yes, i use the original impeller, but that one is used as a part of the seal in the original pump, and on the new one the seal is completely separate. Thats why the new seal is a bit longer. But thats no problem, i just shorten the impeller a bit with a lathe.

Thinkin of finding a new pulley that fits the hub that came on the donating pump, with three screws.

Might be trouble finding a pulley with the correct diameter, and the right offset(15-25mm, depending on were i place the hub on the axle).

Otherwise i will just take a random pulley and machine a new center.

Will keep you updated on what i find.