'91 505 N9TEA Water Problems

• 3 months later...

Now it's March 17. I've had the car back since Christmas and it has started flawlessly every day, in the heated garage or out, fifteen below zero, doesn't matter, it's started every day. In three feet of snow. Except Sunday,

We had a driving rainstorm for twenty-four hours. The car wouldn't fire. It just spun over. I shot some starting fluid into the intake: nothing. The entire engine was covered as if by a plant mister,

The GF tried it last night. It didn't start but it tried.

Tonight after another day of drying it started right up.

Sunday I pulled the coil wire from the coil while cranking and had a great spark.

At the distributor end, I couldn't see a spark to the cap. I shorted it to the fender: very faint spark.

I have a feeling this is going to be a frustrating journey. Unfortunately I would like the peace of mind that the problem has been identified and fixed.

Did you hear any electrical snapping noises when cranking it over?

When wires get weak all it takes is a little extra conductivity via the moisture and wires can arc out to each other or to ground. If also found moisture does the same for old caps that have carbon traces inside the cap.

After that I'd be checking grounds and connections.

Rabin

I had another episode last weekend. We had a raw, damp night with three inches of snow- the the thing wouldn't start.

On Roger's advice, and I agree, many of these parts are factory-installed, I bought a new ignition module. I bought it on eBay, same Bosch number,

I put it in the car, and the car wouldn't run. Took it out. The new one has seven pins, the old one six (no #7). I searched for images using the Bosch number, and some of the units have six, some seven.

I thought that was pretty odd.

What about the Hall sensor? Are they available? The wiring and connector on mine are less than optimal.

Thanks for any ideas and encouragement.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, again, and thanks to all for your interest.

I did not want to say anything lest I jinx it, but the talk about cleanliness and connections led me to take the ignition coil and module out and wash everything. Everything had a greasy film.

I knew it was an ignition problem.

The car has started right away after nights of wind-driven rain, everything.