87 505 STX Tail Lights

mharvey

Has anyone converted the inner workings of the tail lights to LED and done away with the circuit board? My housings are in good shape but it is a battle to keep all the lights burning. If not LED, will they be reliable if I attach each wire to its path on the board, and how is the best way to do that??

I am not that handy with solder but I think I can pull off some mechanical connection but they are so small.

Thanks, Harvey

welcome, harvey! when you get a chance, please add your location to your profile so we can see where you are!

a few years back somebody on peugeot-l posted a pic of a fix for the tail light circuit boards....they kept the board as a structural unit, but bypassed the printed circuit traces with automotive wire attached to the bulb sockets and the wiring harness connector. you could do something like that, and simply replace the conventional bulbs with LED retrofit units -- that way, you wouldn't have to design a whole new LED setup for your tail lights.

the pic is really self-explanatory, can't find it right now but i will continue looking and post it when i find it.

andré

edit: here you go:

peugeot505taillightwiring_zps6468b140.jp

I like that idea, I suppose you would drill out the rivet holding the socket to the board and bolt the socket down with wire attached, for both ground and positive. That does not look exactly like what they did by looking at the wires, but I think I can figure it out.

I have not taken mine out to look at it closely, at the moment they are working and I am afraid to touch them!