1991 405 Mi16 automatic seatbets non-functional

casm

Apologies for the repost from peugeot-l which some of you may have seen by now, but this is really driving me mad after having looked into it for a couple of hours. Original post follows:

Been having some interesting behaviour in the automatic seatbelts fitted to my 1991 405 Mi16. Hopefully someone can provide some insight as to where to start troubleshooting; I'm thinking it's an electrical gremlin but am not certain as to where to start looking.

Note that up until today, both of the mad mice were typically working (more details to follow). The tracks do not seem to be gummed up with debris, etc., and they moved at a fairly high rate of knots through them with no unusual noises or stuttering in their motion.

Symptoms:

A few weeks ago, the passenger-side automatic belt just stopped working one day. It was stuck in the open position, but pressing the release on the mad mouse let it move freely back along the track to the locked position. This continued for a couple of days, at which point it decided to start operating normally again.

This sporadically continued on and off over a period of a bit over a month or so. Today, I climbed into the car and the driver's side mad mouse didn't work, but the passenger's did. Ran a few errands in the car; after about 30 minutes of this, both had decided that it was time to no longer operate as usual.

The fuse (F7, shared with the hazard lights per the owner's manual, IIRC) is fine. Hazard lights also operate as intended, so I'm suspecting either a ground issue or relay. Problem is, I don't have a wiring diagram for the car and no clue as to where the grounds (or live feeds, for that matter) for the seatbelts would be. I'm not even sure that they are relay-driven, but don't recall seeing any mention of relays for them in the manual.

Right now I have some spare time on my hands and rather than converting them back to manual belts would like to take a shot at troubleshooting. I realise that they were never reliable in any vehicle ever equipped with them, but if anyone can give me pointers as to where to begin the investigation I'd certainly appreciate it.

• 2 months later...

Just (finally) following up on this: it looks as though the issue may have been a failing battery. If memory serves, about two weeks after the previous post the battery went completely dead; since replacement, the seatbelts have been working perfectly.

I know... A US-model 405 with automatic seatbelts that work as intended 23 years later. I assure everyone that it is, in fact, true :)