Help

i got a 505 got for around 12 years now

i have lots of problems in it

dunno the model of it if it is a GTI or SL or what ,:(

all i know it was a product of 1979

i dunno how much it give per gallon

dunno how to work on it

and also i was wondering if i can fit another 505 engine in it cuz it's a manual and i wanted to change into an auto

am really lost in my car , :(

any info would be nice

Thanks

welcome!

first things first -- if you are in the US or Canada and your 505 was made in 1979, it would be a 1980 model year car (peugeot made our cars in the late fall months preceding each model year). you can find a guide to US/Canadian cars here -- a gas-powered 1980 car would be a base model or an S -- they both had the same engine & transmission options, the S had power windows, sunroof & alloy wheels.

where are you located? and what sort of problems are you having with your car?

andré

Welcome to the forum as well!

Andre asked some very good questions since your location, and the availability of 505 cars / parts will largely determine if it would be possible or even feasible to swap an automatic transmission into your car. A little odd too since most people want to install the manual as it's more fun and much better on fuel. The early 505's used a 3sp auto, so it would be much slower and get even poorer economy.

A better solution might be to fix the car as is as it's likely something fairly simple which is making your car inefficent. A good tune up, and a fluid flush on all the systems can really revive a car if it's still in basically good shape.

Pictures of your car and it's condition would also help us figure out how much work the car needs.

Rabin

i'm located in Egypt ^^

the licence of my car says it's 1979 CC , year of production 1979 ,

the thing am so annoyed of is i saw some ppl talking on the wep about that 505 cars can do approximately around 11L-15L per 100k ... while my car drain a full 65L tank just to make Max of 350Km ....

oh and my 505 not diesel , But a Gas powered 505 ...

also am not quite happy about the acceleration ... the car give a wow very loud noise with so low acceleration as well ...

Mohammad,

As a Diesel owner I'm not going to be of much help with your engine but I did want to welcome you here as well. I would think you might be in a better position to find parts and expertise in Egypt than we are in North America, since Peugeot left North America about 20 years ago. However that leaves North American Peugeot owners to fend for themselves. so you will probably find a wealth of knowledge here, just not from me. There should be a plate on the rear facing edge of the driver's side door that gives the month of manufacture, among other things. I think if your car was manufactured in 1979 it would be a 1980 model year. As far as I know that was the first year for 505s. I'm not used to thinking in L per 100k since we buy fuel by the Gallon in the US and of course my Diesils do much better than a gas powered one, but I would think you should be able to get "11L-15L per 100k" you were expecting. I get about 29 to 34 MPG which would translate to 8 - 7L per 100k, but again some of the guys here who drive gas powered 505s can tell you better.

Andre posted information about VIN numbers here https://www.box.com/s/hk519p8z33t3xzjhsmam. I don't know if that same system applies to your car but that 10th digit might shed some light on the model year, and with more information about what engine you have, you will probably be able to get more help here. You might also check your VIN number through a decoder like this http://www.vindecoder.net/car-brand-manufacturer/peugeot

oki thx alot for the infos :)

where i live , no one car about how the car works .... they just go to a stupid mechanic who ruin the car instead of fixing it ... :(

i had my tries with mechanics .... pretty much failed a lot

most of them are idiots know nothing about car engineering ...

and i really wanna make my Car rule ... became a car u can trust in ur day duties ... not all time going on and out from a warkshop where he will probably fail something in order to fix his faults ...

also i looked alot for car brochures ... or any thing that can supply me with any kind of information it would be of much help but never found

+ one last question .... can i fix a diesel auto engine in my 1979 car ?!

cuz it seems my engine going so so much down

also i looked alot for car brochures ... or any thing that can supply me with any kind of information it would be of much help but never found

If we figure out what engine you have, the factory service manuals can be found.

one last question .... can i fix a diesel auto engine in my 1979 car ?!

cuz it seems my engine going so so much down

It is possible, in that it would fit, but it is probably not worth it to do. You would have to change out a lot of the wiring harness and I think the input shaft on the transmission is different so you would probably need to change the whole drive train. The instrument cluster is different. I would look for another 505 configured more the way you want it, rather than try to jump through that many hoops to reconfigure this one so drastically.

Hi Mohammad,

I have to agree with Dave - engine swapping isn't going to be a good choice. The XN1 which is likely in your car should be capable of 10L/100KM in the city, and I've had as good as 8.5L/100KM on the highway in my 1976 504 that has a 1980 505 SR engine and 5-sp transmission.

How motivated you are to do your own work, and to learn how to fix your car will determine if it is possible to fix your car. Ikenna comes to mind - he's a member of the forum in Nigeria that had some terrible issues with his 505 that turned out to have had a poorly done V6 engine swap done on it by the previous owner. He went from someone that did not know much about cars to being an expert on V6 505's.

http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1848-help-505-v6-emits-black-smokes-from-the-exhaust-pipe/page-1

I'm happy to help you out, but it's a huge undertaking on your part to be able to learn how to fix your own car. I can help with questions, but it's up to you to do your own research as well so that you learn basic vehicle functions. Once you know the basics, then you can start applying them to fixing your car.

First thing to do is to see if your motor is any good. A compression test is a good way to see how good the engine still is. All the cylinders should be over 110 psi, and within 10% of each other. If it's good, you can do a complete tune up on your car: New spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, valve adjustment, and engine timing set properly, and making sure the vacuum advance is working. Once that is done, if it's still running poorly I would look at either getting a rebuilt carburetor, or reading up on how to rebuild it yourself.

I'm guessing that none of that made very much sense to you - so now you should start googling those terms and learning what they mean. It will also mean investing in your own tools, and spending the time needed to learn about your car and how to start the process to fix it.

You definitely have an advantage being in Egypt when it comes to parts availability, and you have the internet so you have all the info you need to learn how to do the work - so now you just need to figure out if it is right for you.

If you have any questions, or if you can post pictures and video of the car - that will go a long way in ensuring we can help you as best we can.

Rabin

as u said am still learning ^_^ But the problem am having is i can't find infos about my car .... every time i look about information about it , i get nothing , dunno if there is something wrong in my search or the wep ^_^

i also took ur advice and bought a whole set of equipment everything i may need or will need or probably may need i bought :D

i really want to fix it and make it the right way

and i like it here ^^ in the forum ppl driving me to the right direction ^^

Depending on the engine you have, this might be the factory service manual for it

http://www.peugeot505.info/files/manuals/505_wm_1986_3512_gb_01a.pdf

This won't take you from not knowing anything to knowing everything but is something you should have on hand. First try decoding your VIN number to verify what engine you have. The wrong manual can sometimes be worse than no manual.

Hi Mohammad,

Good to hear that you are investing in tools and ready to start learning!

Your first lesson is that all gasoline/petrol cars work the exact same way. No need to learn how to do a compression test specifically for the 505 - a compression test on any motor is the same process. You will need a compression tester, as well as the tools to remove the spark plugs. If the numbers are good - replace the spark plugs with new properly gapped plugs - NGK if you can get them.

Finding out the specifics of your car is very important. You need to know exactly what model 505, as well as the engine code. If you can post pictures it makes it easier to help you know what you are working with.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

It would take a lot of money, time, and fabrication skills to turbo the car. Anything can be done, it just depends on how much money and resourses you have.

AC is a little easier, but you either would have a universal type system installed, or you'd need a 505 parts car that ideally had functioning AC, or at least all the parts to swap in.

I would bet it would be cheaper for you to import a 505 Turbo with AC than it would be to turbo and install AC into your car.

Rabin

Correct - buying or importing the car with turbo and AC will be the cheaper and easier option in most cases.

Retrofitting AC isn't that hard if you have all the parts, or can install a new universal system - but installing a turbo and making the engine last would be very expensive.

A better option might be to swap a turbo motor from something more available to you from Nissan or Toyota?

Rabin

in egypt i can't add any other type of car in mine

only Peugeot engines only i can add in mine , and have to fit the considerations of 505 .... means if i wanna add an engine i only can add a same 505 or higher model of 505 only to my car ... anything else is not allowed

and importing a 505 will cost me 3x the price of buying one in the inside cuz of customs ....

means my own car atm worth 30.000LE thats 4200$

importing one will cost me at least 50,000 to 60,000 which is about 7200 $ to 8500$

and if i bout a good cheap one out of egypt ... and tried to make it enter ... i will bay for it in customs around 20,000-25,000LE which is 2600$ .....

so if it goes to turbo i can kick it out of my mind for now :D

may i for any chance get a hold on the types of universal types of ACs ?!
it will probably be cheap in egypt cuz most don't even care about it over here

Read Stewart's build of his XN engine: http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2624-504-ti-engine-with-full-engine-management/

That is the kind of work that would need to be done to your motor before you could turbo it reliably. This would be in addition to fabricating the turbo exhaust manifold, the turbo, and the stand alone engine management that would then need to be tuned.

Add that all up and even the prices you mentioned would be cheap unless you can do the majority of the work yourself.

If you could afford to simply rebuild your motor like Stewarts, even withou a turbo and "only" 150HP, your car would feel very fast. Even a stock rebuild with better carb and a better cam would make your car so much quicker and much more efficient.

Rabin

I think the point is, unless you are doing it for the fun of it, retrofitting a tubo on the non tubo engine, doesn't make sense. The cost, especially factoring in your time, would exceed the cost of getting a different car that already had the turbo. The AC, while not a trivial job, is a much more practical project.

i think i will listen to Tula and Bean , adding a turbo turned to became a hell not fun .... i looked all over , can't find the right parts and shipping over seas won't be cheap for me

i have a question if i may ask .... about adding an air conditioner in the Car ,

am pretty good when it comes to Car electronics .... but i like asking around before i do the job to make sure of avoiding the mistakes others Did ^^ * mistakes Cost Money For sure *

But all i had as opinions from ppl that it's gonna be expensive and also have a fail probability of 60% , and some ppl said it may harm the engine ?! is that true about harming my engine ?!

i just hoped i can add a good AC , the reason is i can't Handle the Heat :( + i live in a place when it reach 40-45 C called moderate weather >_< and am a veterinarian my work and training force me to stay on the roads for quite long time

i posted earlier about the model of my engine , is there any catalog about it or so so i can work it out when something wrong happened my self :D

last question from me , am nepie when it comes to engines But i try my Best ... and where i life it's not helping

if there is any known books that my help i really Love to know about them ^^ specially if it helps in building Up engines like the 505 ones ^^

i know am so annoying But am Eager to learn and learn even more ^^

Thx for the Good advises ^^

G'luck ^_^