Good news! ABS strut is rebuildable.

My 505 V6 driver's side shock absorber has failed few weeks when i got her. The strut oil started leaking and was messing up the underneat. After the oil finished, the car front would bounce on every small bumps. It was giving me serious concern whenever am doing high speed with the car on highway.

So yesterday, i decided to fix it. I read online that its not rebuildable. So, i wasnt sure what i would expect when the strut is opened by the mechanic. But the mechanic assured me that he had rebuilt so many Turbo and V6 strut. That they could be rekitted just like the conventional 505 struts. And when the strut finally came out, he set it apart. Guess what? He was right. The shaft was just like the conventional 505 strut. The strut kit for the pairs cost N1,050. (about $7 USD). Also, he bought Abro shock absorber oil ($7) and refilled it, after changing the kit. Now the strut is perfect! Even the labour was cheap too.

I also used that opportunity and changed one of the front ABS brake rotor that have worn and making terrible noise when on long distance drive. Though, i bought 2 actually. A used one, but it looked as if it hasnt been used at all, even though they were still in their hubs when i bought them. But they removed them from the hubs before giving them to me. I plan to go back someday and buy the bearings, since they are different from the conventional 505s. The big nut that hold the bearing on the hub is 50mm. It took us awhile before the mechanic could find a 50mm socket to loose the nut, before the rotor could come out. The purchased rotor was fixed too and the brake pads replaced with new ones. Am keeping the second rotor as a pair.

I told the man i bought the ABS rotor from that a lot of people would be interested to buy the rotor if he can source for more and let me know when as he finds them. I bought those two rotors at the price of N7,000. ($14). Very cheap! Isnt it? And they both still look like they were barely used a before the car was scrapped. Lucky me!

Ikenna.

Wow - $14 is exceptionally cheap. Still blows me away just how many parts and cars have made it to Nigeria for use there... Probably have the best parts availability of any other country / continent in the world - at least used parts availabilty anyway at the very least.

Car sounds like it's been doing great, so it's nice to see all that hard work getting it right paid off.

Rabin

I just had mine on the V6 done. Roger was addled because there's no kit for the V6; most use the same as on the 404, 504, non-ABS 505. The passenger side on my car had four (4) ounces of oil in it; the driver's side eight (8), and some one had jerry-rigged the set-up at the top. I believe, as of tomorrow, it'll be fixed. We were very concerned about different shock action from side-to-side, but Mr. Holm has come through again with the correct parts.