'91 N9TEA Back on Road- NO BOOST

billbranch

I just got the car back and should have been suspicious when he did not offer the usual "test drive."

I have very little boost. Once I felt a small push and a slight increase on the gauge.

But at 75 mph flooring it there's nothing.

The most remarkable thing is that I was accelerating hard, backed off, and the boost gauge went up.

Does anyone have a troubleshooting guide?

Thank you.

Bill

If there's no boost then the wastegate is stuck open... This can be done with the wastegate actuation rod between the wastegate diapham and the little arm that actuates the wastegate itself.

I'd ask Roger as he may have done that on purpose to ensure all was well and maybe he wanted to recheck the torque specs before allowing full boost. Not sure what the reason he would have - but hopefully there was a reason. If he let it out of the shop like that without knowing then that's quite a bit worse on his part.

Your car also has the ECU controlled wastegate - but there would be no way to keep boost really low / no boost except for ensuring the wastegate was always open and this would prevent the turbo from building boost.

Rabin

Hi, Rabin, thanks for your reply. I drove the car to work this am and had a small amount of boost, maybe seven or eight pounds. Roger was saying yesterday that the gauge worked intermittently; I think the gauge works all right, but the boost works intermittently. I'm siding with a sticking mechanism somewhere, maybe the wastegate. This car has been driven only about two thousand miles in the last two years. I'll crawl under the thing tonight and be sure everything down there is free.

But the car runs very good. I think I need a bit of fine tuning as at the throttle body- those two switches.

It is nice to get the "big" wagon back. It's a wholly different 505 than the V6 sedan with the 5-speed. I love them both.

I lied - pretty sure you wagon doesn't have ECU controlled wastegate, so the linkage is likely the issue. (I always assume it does forgetting its the wagon!)

7 lbs is close to stock boost iirc - so your likely having an open wg and its building very little at all under load.

Rabin

Linkage is seized or WG itself is NFG. It could also be the 2 vacuum hoses on the left side of the intake mani. They should get small band clamps on the nipples, the lines like to blow off under boost.
You should drive the car to our shop. We'll get it sorted out.

Nick,

I have considered a bad wastegate. Roger said he checked it and its operation. He also admitted he did not label (rookie mistake) the electrovalve hose routing. I have found a thread here which identifies and locates the hoses. That is my Step #1.

There are other things I must do (throttle body stuff). Thanks for the offer for the free diagnostics and repair. If I come up, I'll spring for the coffee.