1988 N9TEA engine rebuild help!

505 Turbo B5

Hello!

this is my first post in the forum!

i have done a Complete Engine Overhaul on my 1988 N9TEA, with new Bearings and Pistonrings and gaskets.

i have remounted the engine to the body, but there is one cable that i dont know where it goes!? its called the TDC-sensor in the repair manual that i have, but is there any chance that it will start without this sensor?

post-1063-0-18371500-1360789409_thumb.jp

Here is a picture of the TDC sensor!

post-1063-0-47441700-1360789552_thumb.jp

and here is how the connector looks like!

i tried to start it but without sucess!

i checked that it gets sparks on all plugs and gasoline is being injected cause the plugs were wet when i took them out.

i hope someone can give me some advise to get this baby running! :)

if you want tho check out my other Peugeots they are on Garaget.org!

Greetings from sweden! :D

Greeting and welcome to the forum!

That TDC sensor from what I know is not needed for engine operation, but was added at the dealership for troubleshooting purposes.

Have you made sure your distributor is pointing at the #1 wire in the cap when the #1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke? (Air should come out the spark plug hole as the piston comes up to TDC). I would also make sure that while cranking you have a timing light on the #1 wire and can see that it's triggering the light and the engine is timed correctly.

I'd also look to ensure you have no big vacuum leak, and if all else fails see if you get any response from a small shot of ether into the intake while attempting to start the engine.

I'd love more details on your car too - looks like you're intake is either painted or powdercoated - looks great. :)

Rabin

Greeting and welcome to the forum!

That TDC sensor from what I know is not needed for engine operation, but was added at the dealership for troubleshooting purposes.

Have you made sure your distributor is pointing at the #1 wire in the cap when the #1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke? (Air should come out the spark plug hole as the piston comes up to TDC). I would also make sure that while cranking you have a timing light on the #1 wire and can see that it's triggering the light and the engine is timed correctly.

I'd also look to ensure you have no big vacuum leak, and if all else fails see if you get any response from a small shot of ether into the intake while attempting to start the engine.

I'd love more details on your car too - looks like you're intake is either painted or powdercoated - looks great. :)

Rabin

Thanks for clearing things with the TDC-sensor!

I will recheck my distributor and vacuum tomorrow, and report back! :)

Yes, the intake is painted, i have repainted most of my engine parts actually! :rolleyes:

i can post some pictures of the engine build!

post-1063-0-95798600-1360796545_thumb.jp

post-1063-0-72257900-1360797280_thumb.jp

post-1063-0-26164000-1360796669_thumb.jp

post-1063-0-57881500-1360796933_thumb.jp

post-1063-0-21861400-1360797067_thumb.jp

and just for fun i'l post this video from another engine rebuild i did last spring on my other 505! that startup went without problems though! :P