Thinking about a project Pug... What breaks?

darksider415

More specifically, what bits on a 504 or 505 wagon would break with ~300-350 lb.ft. of torque? I'm starting to gather bits to build a turbo PRV to drop into something, but I'm torn between the Volvos that I know well and the Peugeots that I've lusted after from afar. More specifically, I'm worried about the suspension and the rear end. Transmissions, I'm not too worried about, because I'm pretty sure the Volvo AW71 will fit without too much effort.

Any suggestions?

Funny - I've been recently chatting with John Lane about aquiring the internals for a boosted PRV, as well as feeling out the cost for having him build up the long block... ($5-8K not including stand alone). He's done all the hard work of fine tuning the set up in his rally car, so I think it'd be worth it to have him build up the short block at the very least. (I thought he might be getting out of the PRV building)

As for the wagon drivetrain, stock turbo gas is good for ~215 ft*lbs, and even then the u-joint is the biggest weak link. If you put a BA10/5 behind it it, you'd likely need to go through it as well - but I think it could handle it as those are similar power goals I have for my 89' 505 turbo. (I'm going through both the 5-sp and the diff to ensure it's as strong as I can make it.

If you do the Volvo tranny, you'll need to swap in the driveshaft and diff as well as the Peugeot uses a unique design with a single u-joint / pivot at the transmission tailshaft, then a rigid torque tube with a driveshaft inside that bolts to the diff. Diff has the same internals as the sedan diff, and it's quite robust - so I think the diff would handle it as well - but I'd go through it as well and at least run Redline shock oil in it.

If it were me - I'd look at replacing the entire drivetrain with something that you KNOW works. If the AW71 will live with that power then go with that and replace the diff as well as it's not that hard to do. The only issue will that you likely need to build in a 3 or 4 link set up for the new diff as the Peugeot uses torque rods to locate the diff that you wouldnt be able to use with a conventional diff.

I really like the idea of boosted PRV, but the reality is that you could very likely buy wrecked Corvette or other muscle car and drop the whole powertrain into the 505 for cheaper. That's the easy way, the turbo PRV would simply be the cooler "because I can" way to get those power levels.

Personally speaking - Peugeot's are much cooler than Volvo's, better looking, much rarer, better handling, and more comfy to boot. I used to own a 240 wagon, and I currently have a 2000 V70R and a 98 V70 T5m - so I know and like Volvo's, but the Peugeot's are my babies.

Rabin

I know the PRV +T would be expensive, but man, they sound beautiful, and other than John Lane, I can't think of many who actually play with PRVs.

So, for the swap, I'd be looking at rear diff mounting as the biggest pain... Not too terribly bad, considering the uniqueness of the build. Of course, I may get my hands on a Pug and decide to leave her alone and drop a PRV into my 740 wagon, instead. Either way, I'll have something fast and wagon-shaped, and something unusual and French.

I do agree that the Peugeots are better looking cars, though it's not terribly hard to get better looking than a 240 or a 740. The only reason I'm not daily-driving a Peugeot wagon instead of my 240 is that it is unusually difficult to find one in northern Alabama, while Volvos are a little bit easier to find. Not much easier, but enough easier that they exist.

There's a few turbo PRV's in Austrailia, but John Lane's is the only one I know of in North America...

The diff location in the 505 wagon shouldn't be too hard as you could use the existing diff suspension, you'd just need to locate it fore and aft, and side to side - so a 3 link should work well I think. (IE lower trailing links and a panhard bar)

As for rarity - I can assure you Peugeot's are rare as they get in Saskatchewan Canada, but if you're willing to travel for the right one you can get a pretty good deal and have a nice road trip as well. My last 505 turbo I drove back from Hood River OR, and the one before I drove back from Charlottesville VA - both epic drives that were awesome.

Course another option to consider is supercharging - I myself am partial to the Rotrex superchangers, but I've got enough on my plate for a while with the upgrades I have in store for my 89' 505 turbo.

Rabin

@Rabin - dude...you've GOTTA update that sig of yours :D

@darksider415 - welcome aboard. are you on TB? I too am a Peugeot/Volvo crossover, grew up with Peugeots and Volvos around my household.

What makes you wanna go for the aw71 though? I daily a 245 with an m47, and when i drove my friends 744ti with the auto, i absolutely dreaded it.

For a donor car - i'd try and look for a sought-after 89-91 505 Station wagon with the nice aero kit.

Good luck with your search!

Sina