Peugeot 1986 505- XD3T engine 2.5 lt TD sedan--diesel fuel gauge

jerro

Hi all, well just another techno question, this time it is the fuel gauge on the dash. The needle shows the fuel level half the time but the other half it slowly goes down towards empty and stays there for a while when you are driving, the next time you glance at it the needle has moved back up to what i assume is the correct level. Anyone had this at all and any pointers in where to check the problem please? When you put some diesel in at the garage the needle does go up to roughly where it should be but slides down after a while then comes back up!-- Thanks as always -Jerro

Diesel is quite oily and it usually preserves tanks and assemblies incredibly well for years and years. I've got a 504 diesel tank it looks new inside.

So I'd focus on the wiring and connections - only way that the gauge itself would be suspect is if it wore out and physically was breaking up - so it'd be the last thing I checked.

Rabin

Thanks as always good people, you have given me more work to do! If i don`t develop some other fault before Christmas and have to post it here then please have a very good one and all the goodness that should come with it.--Thanks