XN6 Running like DO-DO, new member...help!

rickcjmc

Hello All,

New to the group, I recently purchased a one owner 84 GL wagon, 2.0L 5 speed. I am experienceing problems with the throttle. I am getting bucking, shuddering upon mid acceleration. Also happens at low to mid throttle when I am just cruising, depending on load. I have replaced the fuel pump (it went bad) and the filter while I was at it. I checked the cap and rotor and the appear to be fairly recent but I have not pulled the plugs. I havent looked close to see if there is a TPS, and am kind of ruling out the MAF sensor.........any thoughts or experience folks?

Big thanks in advance....

Rick in St Paul Oregon.....

Welcome to the forums Rick!

Your car acutally has Bosch CIS - same basic system used on VW and Volvo's of the same era.

First thing I would do is make sure the car has a good full on tune up. New plugs, check / replace wires, and check timing. If the issues remain you'll need to figure out if it's fuel or spark causing the issues. The O2 sensor can also cause running issues so maybe unplug it and see if the issues clear up.

If the CIS needs to be tuned - then you'll either need to start reading up on CIS operation to get it sorted and tuned, or find a good old school VW/Volvo mechanic familiar with CIS to troubleshoot it.

My CIS cars always ran very well - so I never had the opportunity to really dive into tuning them. I had even made a list of the parts needed to build the gauges needed to work on the system, but I killed the car with an aftermarket PCV filter that froze up before I needed it. (It plugged, engine puked out all the oil out the front slinger seal, and it ran out of oil triggering the idiot oil light right before ventilating the block.)

Rabin

• 1 year later...