aftermarket tachometer and boost gauge?

jenyus

anyone used an aftermarket tach with their 505 TD? if so, how did you do it? i really want a tach and cant figure out how to add one in. most of the gasser aftermarket tachs go off the distributor, so that won't work.

also, if i wanted to add a boost gauge, where would i splice it in? in the line that goes to the wastegate?

The stock boost gauge (on 1986 models only) tee'd into the line running from the intake manifold to the LDA on the injection pump.

All Turbodiesels in the US had an engine speed sensor on the bellhousing (above the starter) for use with the EGR system. Later in 1984, all Turbodiesels got an additional speed sensor mounted to the bellhousing over near the turbocharger to drive the factory tachometer. I believe the latter is a TDC sensor only--fires once per revolution. I forget the frequency of the former, but I want to say it's the same.

Most aftermarket tachs for diesels tap into the alternator somehow--I'm not sure if you have to attach some kind of inductive sensor or if it uses the 3-phase signal from the alternator to somehow extrapolate the engine speed.

I've heard about the alternator method as well but never looked into it really.

If you haven't seen a sensor on the bellhousing, or behind the oil pan so that it can read the side of the flywheel you likely don't have it, so in that case I'd start looking at the alternator trick.

http://www.autometer...ductPDF/608.pdf

Better one:

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f28/how-tachofy-your-mk-1-diesel-31515.html