Leaking front seal (Xn6)

norcal505

So my car has been slowly dripping oil for the few years.

Today I finally thought I should put it up on shop jack, so I took it over to my dad's friend's Peugeot shop.

What I thought was a bad oil pan gasket (it was always wet) turned out to be a leak from the front seal...or so it seems it's coming from the front of the block..

My dad was with me and said that he'd never replaced the front crank seal in all of the 30 years and 350,000+ miles the engine had.

Sam was also telling me it might be by the chain tensioner...

Now, I'm thinking I should go and steam clean my engine bay tomorrow, daily the car around town for a week (and take it to the 1st annual North American 505 meet :D) and see whats up then. Any advice/guesses before I spray 'er down?

-S

Yup - there isn't a seal on the XN6 engines at the front. There's a slinger on the front, and a very close tolerance to the timing cover. When the engine is running the slinger pumps oil away from the hole. Simple but effective. If you are getting leaks then the PVC screen is likely blocked and oil is starting to be forced out the front.

So clean that trap by the starter really well. There is usually a screen in the bottom of it as well as in the black plastic part that clips in. Pull the screens right out and clean with varsol or something similar. If the screens are shot - I've used stainless steel scrub pads that seemed to work pretty well as replacements.

Stainless_Steel_Scrubber.jpg

Rabin