Back from India

Bean

Hey guys,

Just got back from India yesterday - trip was a blast! I even visited a race course in Chennai - saw some pretty cool machines.

Since I'm always looking for all things Peugeot I came across a couple tidbits that I'm working on getting more info on - if it pans out I may have a complete source of parts for the XD3's and maybe a bolt in replacement - a 2.6L common rail diesel to be exact!

Turns out a company in India (Mahindra) has an engine deal with Peugeot and has used and is using what seems to be the XD3 in one of their SUV's (Bolero). Once I confirm it's the exact motor then I can look at sourcing parts and even complete motors.

The most exciting possibility though is that they recently came out with a new model that uses a 2.6L Turbo diesel common rail motor - my hope is that they used the same bellhousing as the XD3 (Hoping of course it's the same pattern as the Peugeot's!) I don't know if it's sourced from Peugeot - or if it was done in house - but it's supposed to be a very good motor. The 5000 lb SUV it's in is supposed to be pretty quick.

If this new motor has the same bellhousing pattern as the XD3 - I'll be importing one of these beasts for my 504 wagon. If the bellhousing doesn't match - then I may consider getting it anyway with the 5-sp tranny and just swap the hole unit in.

If the 2.6 doesn't pan out or is too hard to source - then I'll look at the XD3 - but it's not turbo'd from what I can tell. (Might have to do source XD3 turbo upgrades here). One other option would be to source a Toyota diesel engine and tranny - the D4D is used there on some of their trucks and I heard that a couple 504's in Delhi had been retrofitted with the engine and tranny and it made for a FANTASTIC car. Trouble is that the Toyota's are in HIGH demand for the same reason - retrofitting existing trucks.

Sadly there was no other Peugeot cross over I could find.

Rabin

(Time to start on my 505 wheel upgrade!)

It was indeed a fun trip. Definitely a life changing trip for sure.

As for pictures - I took about 20 rolls of 24! I couldn't afford a decent digital that would rival the picture quality of my Nikon FE2 - so I decided to just shoot 35mm instead of sacrificing quality and getting a less than desireable digital camera.

If I get a chance to post them online I'll pass on the link.

Rabin

Thats some very interesting information. I wonder if that 2.6L Diesel engine has the same bell housing as a XD2S as well? Too bad I have two XD2S sitting around already, last thing I need is another heavy object taking up more space. Good luck with the swap and importing of engine parts. :o

Well - the bellhousing question is what this whole idea is based on. So far though it looks promising.

As for the 2.6L - It makes sense that they take what they had and improve upon it. I know that the bore between the XD3 and the 2.6 are the same - so it *could* be a stroked XD motor with a new head on it - but that's mostly wishful thinking on my part.

If I could stuff a 2.6L CRDe into the 504 wagon - it'd make for a decently quick, efficient car that would be the perfect highway runner.

Heck - even having access to a NEW XD3T would be a nice option for getting that 504 wagon back on the road.

Hopefully it works out - it'd make a kick ass family car!

Rabin

• 1 year later...

Hi

Found your posting from googling Mahindra, having heard they were still producing the XD3. They teamed up with peugeot in '89, but seem to be doing stuff with citroen and Izusa? these days, so don't hold up your hopes for that 2.6. I'm looking for an XD3 to drop in my old 504 campervan, here in the U.K. Hadn't realized you were over the water, and when you talked of shipping one I had to get in touch. If you find a contact at Mahindra or a price of an XD3 and BA10 please post it. The XD3 is in a thing they call the Mahindra Armada Grand and the whole vehicle goes for about £6,500 or 5,24,191 Rupees? Not bad by U.K. prices. Good luck with the wheels!

My diesel hopes were put on hold when we decided to forego the hassles of an old 504 wagon in favor of a newer family car. Ended up with a 2000 Volvo V70R AWD and couldn't be happier.

504 wagon will just have to wait for an 85 - 86 505 Wagon (XD3T ) to become available somewhat close by so that I can swap the powertrain into the 504...

Rabin

My diesel hopes were put on hold when we decided to forego the hassles of an old 504 wagon in favor of a newer family car. Ended up with a 2000 Volvo V70R AWD and couldn't be happier.

504 wagon will just have to wait for an 85 - 86 505 Wagon (XD3T ) to become available somewhat close by so that I can swap the powertrain into the 504...

I still have contacts in India - but it's hard to get stuff done. and time was much to scarce to put as much effort into it as it needs to make it happen.

Good luck with your 504 - and post some pics of it! I'd love to see it!

Rabin