Preheat indicator light on dash panel? 86 505 turbo diesel

jerro

Hi everyone, well i still have my Pug (1986 505s Turbo diesel) and at $4.00 / gallon she still pays for herself! Anyway,anyone got any ideas about my `preheat indicator` light on the dash that doesn`t always come on when you turn on the ignition and of course she won`t start without the preheat first. When the preheat light does come on the `glow plug relay` must be working because after some seconds the preheat light goes off and she starts fine. If there is no other relay or gadget between the glow plugs and the source of power from the battery i may as well just replace the `glow plug relay`?? -- Example of glow plug relay but not the actual one in my car in poor quality pic below!--Thanks as always -- Jerro :blink:

post-1154-0-24784900-1339637233_thumb.jp

If it works sometimes I'd redo the electrical connections in the whole circuit first. Battery, glow plug relay, and glow plugs - see if that fixes the consistency if it working.

BTW - if I already didn't have 3 project cars simultaneously on the go - I'd be getting yours!

Rabin

I would do as Rabin suggests. The only "gadget between the glow plugs controller relay, and the source of power from the battery" is the ignition switch, but I've not known that to fail intermittently. You should check the MC1 connector which is red and located behind the master cylinder. That's the one I had corrosion trouble with the other day and both the main power to the glow plug relay and the activation power from the ignition switch pass through that connector. see: My build thread. It wouldn't be the same pin as the one that failed for me the other day, but that whole connector would be a good place to clean and inspect. This is based on my 1985 but I assume it would be the same on yours.

The controller relay has a temperature sensor that is supposed to determine how long the glow plugs need to be on. Mine has what I first thought was a random intermittent fault, but I've now figured out how to reproduce it. After driving the car so it's all warmed up and then letting it sit an hour or two, as it cools it reaches a point where the glow plugs will not come on. It is cool enough that it is hard to start without the glow plugs, though it will eventually start. I've never seen this happen when it is just partly warmed up (on the way up), only during the cool down process. I keep a little 2 foot jumper with battery clips on it to manually apply power to the glow plugs when necessary but I suppose I should probably replace the relay.

Thanks very very much for the tips, really appreciate them and i shall get on and follow them up and report the outcome, it sure isn`t what you know it`s who you know! -Jerro

Thanks very very much for the tips, really appreciate them and i shall get on and follow them up and report the outcome, it sure isn`t what you know it`s who you know! -Jerro

----------UPDATE----------Thanks once again everyone, cleaned all connections which were dusty/ gritty (like soil!) and have not had any problems since then and running beautifully, i will have to enter the Paris Dakar now!--Thanks