505 grd swap motor

tiagocpms

Hello, my name is Tiago, from Portugal and im a proud owner of 3 peugeots, one 505 break grd 94, one 505 SR 84, one 505 turbodiesel intercooler for parts.

Im starting a project of swaping the engine of my break (2.5d XD3) for the engine XD3TE of the 505 that i have for parts.

i think that the swap it self isnt hard, but im thinking that the transmission wont be easy.

Im going to swap engine and gearbox but i dont know how to do with the rear diferencial. The diferential of the break is "short" im comparison to de 505 turbodiesel intercooler, but the inside of the diferentials are diferent in shape so cant be swaped, the same for the rear axle becouse in the break its a stiff axle and in the 505td is 2 semiaxles.

So if someone did the same modifications to their break please give me some advice, or sugestions.

Right now im considering adapt the rear suspension, semiaxles and diferential of the 505 td in the break body.. but im hoping that theres a better solution.

Ive been visiting your forum but never registered until know that i need some help. but know that im in i will participate more, becouse my love for these machines is huge.

Best regards,

Tiago

Welcome here. Although there are some knowledgeable guys here on the XD engines, other genuine experts hang out on the Peugeot-L maillist. You can join here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/peugeot-L/

Specifically look for posts by Mike Aube and Brian Holm. Both of those guys have a scary knowledge of Peugeot diesels.

Most of the turbo stuff around here is the petrol turbo cars. Although all cars are welcome.

Good luck,

Welcome to the forum Tiago,

I'd recommend the list as well for real indepth knowledge, but I can tell you that many have said the differential guts are indeed interchangeable between the sedan diff and the solid axle wagon diff. Lots of work - but possible.

Do you know the gear ratio differences between the two? I would have thought that since both are diesels, the diff ratio would be way closer. What transmission was in the break (3p auto?), and what transmission is in the sedan? (4-sp auto? 5-sp manual?) Depending on the transmission being installed, and the exact ratio of the diff - maybe it might be more suitable to leave the diff ratio alone for improved acceleration if the transmission has an overdrive that allows a nice cruising RPM on the highway.

Sounds like a great swap though - so please keep us posted.

Welcome here. Although there are some knowledgeable guys here on the XD engines, other genuine experts hang out on the Peugeot-L maillist. You can join here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/peugeot-L/

Specifically look for posts by Mike Aube and Brian Holm. Both of those guys have a scary knowledge of Peugeot diesels.

Most of the turbo stuff around here is the petrol turbo cars. Although all cars are welcome.

Good luck,

Thank you for the info, im joining the maillist as we speek, great.

Ill search for them.

I would love to have a petrol 505 turbo, but unfortunately they aren´t that many in Portugal. Here there are alot of 505 break still going on. Mostly used by farmers, hunters and by the bicicle teams (if you watch the Volta de Portugal em Bicicleta it would be 100%sure to see a couple os 505´s break going as a suport for the rider).

I have also a 505 sr, its a great sedan with a 5 gear manual, very quick but it also goes hard on the fuel consumption.. right now its my daily car, but not for long i hope to be riding my Break soon.

Welcome to the forum Tiago,

I'd recommend the list as well for real indepth knowledge, but I can tell you that many have said the differential guts are indeed interchangeable between the sedan diff and the solid axle wagon diff. Lots of work - but possible.

Do you know the gear ratio differences between the two? I would have thought that since both are diesels, the diff ratio would be way closer. What transmission was in the break (3p auto?), and what transmission is in the sedan? (4-sp auto? 5-sp manual?) Depending on the transmission being installed, and the exact ratio of the diff - maybe it might be more suitable to leave the diff ratio alone for improved acceleration if the transmission has an overdrive that allows a nice cruising RPM on the highway.

Sounds like a great swap though - so please keep us posted.

Thank you for the answer.

interchangeable? i really hope so.

I dont know the gear ratio of the sedan dif, but i had a conversation with another connoisseur of 505´s here in Portugal and he said that they arent the same beteween sedan and wagon. but ill open them both and see. But do you sugest the operation is plug an play, or if i have to do some drilling and welding?

Both have a 5 gear manual, and the 5th isnt a bit short (cruising speed of 110km/h) so i would prefer to have it as long as possible, to have some lower revs when in highway.

No, no overdrive..

Yep, ill try to keep this updated, but the swap will be a kind of a weekend thing, but hoping to get it done until the end of 2012.

If the wagon and the parts car are both diesels, and both 5-sp then I would not worry about the slight difference in ratios if there is any at all. If the wagon was GAS, Then the ratio would be much too high for the diesel. I would really confirm for sure - but I would guess they are the same or very close. 5 speed manuals - 5th gear is an over drive so it should be quite nice on the highway. Is there a reason you want to change transmissions as well?

Another option would be to run slightly bigger tires, say 205-70-15 to get a little better highway cruising rpm.

Rabin

If the wagon and the parts car are both diesels, and both 5-sp then I would not worry about the slight difference in ratios if there is any at all. If the wagon was GAS, Then the ratio would be much too high for the diesel. I would really confirm for sure - but I would guess they are the same or very close. 5 speed manuals - 5th gear is an over drive so it should be quite nice on the highway. Is there a reason you want to change transmissions as well?

Another option would be to run slightly bigger tires, say 205-70-15 to get a little better highway cruising rpm.

Rabin

Ok, ill try to do some work this weekend and give you guys some photos of the operation. The idea of bigger tires is great, i have a 15" wheels on my sedan, im going to search for other wheels.

Is there in this forum some topic about wheels, originals, mesures, if there is other models or brands with the same size. There is not much choice, is there?

I only want to change transmissions if needed, well i think i have to start the work and see what to expect.

No other cars used 4x140 wheels that fit. (old Subaru used 4x140 but the offset is wrong). Cheapest way to get different wheels will be adapters to change the 4x140 to 4x114.3 or 4x100. More expensive would be to have the existing hubs welded, machined, and re-drilled.

Since both cars are diesel, you really are just swapping a turbo diesel into the car. Both are XD3 so it should be very easy and you shouldn't need to change anything else other than the motor and controls. Transmission and diff should be fine. (Based on what you have written)

Rabin