86 505s TD 2.5 -flushing injector pump without removing it?

jerro

Hi all, i have another post going on at the moment about leaking injector bodies and lots of smoke on start up but good running engine when warm, i have posted this `flushing` injector pump without removing it` as it is a separate operation but part of my task! Anyway, can you tell me if i can crank over the engine a couple of times to flush out anything in the fuel feed pipes or pump before i attach them back onto the injectors. I would have to put a container at the end of them to catch any diesel. Would there be any damage to the pump if it pumped diesel for a few seconds without being linked up to the injectors or anything else that i haven`t thought of?! :blink:

• 1 month later...

http://www.dieselgiant.com/injectorcleaning.htm

Jerro - this is probably what you were asking about. Some say it's great - others say it can't do much at all.

Other how to's have said to shut the car off half way through the process and let it sit in the diesel purge to help loosen any deposits. Restart and let it get close to running out - but don't let it suck air.

I'll likely do this myself when I give the engine a complete tune up.

Rabin