peugeot 504, Torsendiff?

Hi, my first post herr, l have a Peugeot 504 with a 505 gti engine (zdjl engine) with dual weber dcoe, reground camchaft, headers, ported cylinder heads, Ba 10/4 gearbox, 4,875 (8x39) final drive with lsd. Is the Car better to drive with a Torsendiff instead of lsd?? Anyone know? I live in Sweden and there is no 505 with Torsen, bit are thinking of buying a Torsendiff from 405 mi16. /Bobby

Hi Bobby,

Pictures PLEASE! I've got a 504 with a 1980 505SR euro engine and 5-sp. 32/36 Weber, electronic ignition - and it's pretty quick.

I also have an 89' 505 turbo with the torsen diff, and it was AMAZING how good it was both on loose surface as well as pavement. I attribute how much more planted the car was to the torsen - bit I was also running much better tires than I've prevously ever run.

Torsen's don't do well if the car lifts a wheel (become an open diff) - but as long as each wheel has some traction I found it to be fantastic. With our suspensions - I've never lifted a wheel, so I think it's still a very good upgrade for our cars.

My Torsen is currently clunking on acceleration and deceleration as it takes up slack - sounds fine once on power, so I have to disassemble and verify the issue. My hope is that it's not the Torsen gear pack - but I won't know until I take it apart and examine.

Rabin

Thanks for the replies, l Will to buy a final drive (Torsen) from a 405 Mi16, assemble with the crownwheel and pinion from 504, it fits? I run mist of the car on ice, hoping Torsen works well on ice?? Quife sell diff to 505, what is the difference to 405 (505) Torsen? My car: 504 Diesel 1971 modell code A20. Has cage mounted in the car, plastic windows, battery in the rear, aluminium hood, the engine is back moved 5 inch for better weight distribution, rear springs from 505 Turbo somewhat shortened, rear crossmember welded instead of silentblock, rear swaybar from 604, Bilstein gasshock from Alfa Romeo, Rear wheels modified the Wide rear track 1425mm is almost the same as 505. Front: springs orginal cut (diesel), 604 lower control arms and 504 caster bars. New holes drilled för the struts, the more camber. Swaybar 505 Turbo, steering rack 2.9 turns 505 turbo, dual shock absorbes, no gas, no power steering, no braking power. /Bobby

The 405Mi16x4 (AWD) or the 405 T16 (AWD) uses the same rear diff as the 505 as far as I know. The Citroen 4X-BTC WRC car also used the same rear diff.

So if you can find the Torsen from one of those 405's it should work. Quaife currently lists a diff for the 505 which should be better than the Torsen - but it's double the new price at 599 Euro. I found listings for it here for $1200 - very tempting later on if I can't sort out my Torsen clunking.

The Torsen itself works fantastic on ice. I have rallycrossed with my 505 Turbo running the factory Torsen and it was MUCH better than the regular LSD in the older cars. Both tires claw for traction on similar surfaces, but if one tire hits ice and the other is on gravel - it still goes very well! I highly recommend them when they are working properly.

Pictures or links to pictures of your car would be appreciated. It's rare to hear about a 50* that's so modified. :)

How do you find the rear cross member welded solid? I've been thinking about doing this myself.

Rabin

Thanks for the reply Rabin, there is a movie on YouTube, but unfortunately the only page l can not go onto the Internet is this site, my antivirus system is blocking me, so have to go with my mobile phone. But the search for Peugeot 504 rally, the clip is 0,38 minutes and 0,43 minutes, posted by alfredsmamma. l'll try Torsen or Quife on my 504, you've convinced me! Rear cross member, l welded without removing the silentblock, very simple. /Bobby

The research showed both are the same gear pack design, but the Quaife was favored because it was constructed better. Most comparisons showed the Quaife was worth the premium for a racing car, but the Torsen on ice would likely be just as good since I would imagine the shock loading would be lower than pavement. This assumes you run studded winter tires - if you run bolts or ice racing tires than maybe the Quaife would be the better choice.

I will be better able to speak to the Torsen once I take mine apart and inspect. I hope that my slalom and rallycrossing I did didn't cause the clunk it has now.

Rabin

• 3 months later...

Where did you end up finding the 5.62 diff? That's going to be quite the change in ratio - and I thought your 4.875 was pretty good! Please update us when you get it installed with your impressions.

Rabin

I found 5,625 diff in France, there is a better ratio than 4,875 for me. Will fit in a 5-speed gearbox in the car along with 5,625 final drive with Torsen or peugeot original LSD, but I think it will be a Torsen diff. Quaife diff is also an alternative maybe ......

Bobby