505 TD questions

Hi, i`m a new member with an 86 Turbo diesel 505 2.5 lt sedan, i have had some great replies about problem injectors and my question from the above is ` what and where is the NTC and the same for the turbo boot?` please. I am going to sort out my injectors and if this doesn`t sort out my cold smoky start but runs great all day then she will also be in the `up for sale` column.--Thanks

Hi Jerro - I split this off into it's own post since that one was an old for sale post.

The NTC sensor is a temp sensor in the Turbo gas cars. Your diesel has an ECU but only to control the EGR system. As for your problem, I would start with the basics to get your XD3T in proper tune. The intake boot on a gas motor is also very important as it ensured the amount of measured air is going to the motor - if the boot leaks they the ECU can't run the engine right.

TD's don't have that issue - they run simply on the fuel that's injected and suck as much air as they need - no throttle plates. I do know that valve adjustment and pump timing are very important.

Smoke on start up *could* also be lower compression - so you might want to spring for a compression test to make sure the engine has 300+ psi. I've been told lower and they'll be hard smokey starters.

Hopefully more experienced Diesel guys speak up on the details. I just got an 86' TD 505 wagon that I hope to get sorted out this summer - so no hands on experience yet.

Rabin

Jerro, could be glow plugs if you haven't done anything with them. The glow plug relay is another that could be your problem. Another culprit is the fast idle cable for cold starts. A thermal sensor that controls tension on the cold start cable that holds a higher idle during warm ups. All three of these can be temperamental, all part of 505 diesel ownership, so don't throw in the towel yet.