Learning the N9T engine characteristics

prodimus

I have a 1985 505 Turbo 5 speed with only 90,000 kilometers showing on it. There is a reasonably complete record of maintenance from its original owner's records, so I think these are accurately recorded.

Not knowing much about the N9T, I've been very cautious and have really only just kept it in running condition while I learn a bit about it. Thanks to a generous 505 owner who traded me for one he needed, I now have a manual that deals with engine maintenance, and am planning to check over the entire car soon.

So, why the new post? There are some concerns that I'd like to know about before I dig into them.

First; the oil level warning light is flashing when the ignition is on..and engine running. I suspect poor contacts, but would like info on the experience of others.

Second; since it seems to me to be a noisy engine...valve train noise...I need to know if this is a common trait of these engines. What's the experience among others?

Third; it may end up that I have to just go through everything and check tolerances, which will then result in my needing to find things like valve cover gasket, as well as gaskets for any parts I'll need to remove to do the full service. So...where can I get these gaskets?

Again...I appreciate the guidance that will come from hearing other people's experiences.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can offer.

Welcome to the forum!

I would recommend a thorough tune up, and would even suggest ensuring the head is re-torqued, and the valves adjusted. I've also set up a vendor section on the main page, with Parts Network, Javel Garage, and Brian Holm being the usual suspects. I know Madhu at Parts Network has the valve cover gaskets in stock and can likely hook you up with all the tune up parts as well if needed.

These cars are prone to head cracking, so always ensure it's got plenty of coolant. I also like to suggest changing the reservoir to one that is mounted above the engine to ensure the engine is always completely full of coolant.

The throttle position sensor, as well as the throttle stop switch has a pretty sensitive setting as well so I'd ensure that's all in spec as well since you have the manual.

The N9T is fairly noisy, but it's not outrageous. Once valves are adjusted, good oil, and I recommend getting the proper Purflux oil filter as well.

Oil light - there's a sensor on the pan that I would chack first to ensure wiring is OK. Actually - I'd go over ALL the connectors for all the sensors on the engine and ensure good contacts. Clean both ends well and use dielectric grease to keep them clean. There are also some grounding trees on the inside of the front header panel on each side of the radiator - clean them really well and use dielectric grease there too. 95% of issues these cars have are due to crappy unsealed electrical connections and poorly protected grounds. A little preventative maintenance will go a long way.

They're a fantastic drivers car so once you get it all fixed up - it'll be a great driver.

BTW: Are you in Canada? I'm in Saskatchewan if so. :)

Rabin

I'll chime in regarding head torque and valve setting as I just recently did his on my N9T.

It was actually quite easy all in all. A two things I'll do different next time:

Buy a go-no go feeler gauge. This will make getting the valve settings right MUCH easier.

Write down what you've done as you do it. This helps you keep track of which valves you've completed and which still need attention.

I followed the factory manual, have set valves hundreds of times and I still find that I can think "did I just finish #3 exhaust?"

I also used an on line conversion to convert the torque number from the metric figure to Ft Pounds. One of these days I really should buy a proper Newton Meter torque wrench!

Good luck and welcome to the gang.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, gentlemen...and my apologies for not coming back on and reading your replies much sooner.

The suggestions on adjusting valves are great, as is the info on parts supplies via the forum. I'm in Canada...Kitchener, to be precise, so that makes things easier.

There are many distractions from getting to work on the car at the moment, so I'll print off what the two of your wrote and when I can get to work on it, will use the ideas.

I'm hoping to acquire some used spares for the N9T before too long, so maybe then will be able to go over it with a 'fine tooth comb

and thus learn what it is going to need to make it run its best.

Thanks again, both of you, for some very useful suggestions. I'll get back on to the forum more frequently, in future.

Cheers!