Any motorcylists?

Yq397r

Any of you guys ride? If so what do you have or what have you had in the past? I have a 82' Yamaha Maxim XJ650. Its my first bike, powered with an in-line 650cc four cylinder engine, 5-speed tranny, and shaft drive. I know Peugeot used to make motorcycles make in the 1930s-1940s. It would be sweet to get one and restore it. Feel free to share gentlemen, Here is a pic and stats of my Yamaha...

319350_88_full.jpg

Engine Type: 653 cc, Inline 4 Stroke, Air Cooled

Engine Bore/Stroke: 63 mm x 52.4 mm

Valves: 2 valves per cylinder

Transmission: 5-speed

Final Drive: Shaft

Seat Height: 30.7 inches

Dry Weight: 509.3lbs

Max. Horsepower: 71hp@9400rpm

Max. Torque: 42lbs@7200rpm

Top Speed: 127mph

1/4Mile Time/Speed: 12.7@103mph

0-60mph Time: 4.8 seconds

Fuel Economy: 40/45mpg

iee, i'm really not sure.

i know a hayabusa can do the 1/4 at a high 9 second doing 145, but its also less power and a lot heavier. so shit i dunno, high 7 at 160? :D

the few times i've ridden that thing its absolutley amazing. the sounds and powerband are insanity.

your XJ650 looks really clean! did you restore it?

• 4 weeks later...

Yep - I ride too - just not right now though... :o

My first bike was a 1977 CB750 Super Sport - cam broke in half and while looking for a replacement I found all this crazy aftermarket performance stuff for it. (Period drag engine upgrades - big bore kit, hot cam, covers, elect ignition etc.). Before I could assemble it my buddy that sold me the bike offered me cash for every penny I had into the bike and all the bits. I was low and cash and took the money. I shoulda kept it!

Second bike was an 82 Kawasaki Spectre 1100. Shaft drive crusier bike. I put superbike handle bars on it, almost straight across instead of the mini ape hangers, knocked the forks down 2" in the triple clamps, and redid air distribution lines for them as well. Replaced the exhaust can with a 24" glass pack that was supposed to be a temp measure - but it sounded so sweet I kept it on! Painted it black with brand new rubber on it. Bike was super fast and looked a lot like a V-Max - but looked and sounded meaner. Sold it when I got married.

I now have an 82 Kawaski GPz 750 that's in parts in my garage. I don't really have the time to fix it, and my wife has given the OK to buy a bike this spring so I'll likely be going for a nice sport touring bike. It'll depend on cash - so if I gave up the 505 Turbo I could get a Ducati ST4 - but since that isn't going to happen I'll have to settle for an older but still capable bike. I'm thinking a nice FJ1200, or an older ZX-10 - something comfy enough for a 1000 mile road trip, but still STUPID fast... :)

Rabin

• 2 months later...

This is cool - I was re-reading my post and I actually predicted the bike I bought last weekend... I picked up a really nice 89 ZX-10 with 57000 km on it.

It's a stellar bike that has gobs of power and character - usually stops traffic wherever it's parked, and bike guys always gather and pay respects... ;)

Rabin

Guest OB6D

Ofcourse,

Started with a Suzuki GT550, 3 cilinder two stroke, also had DR500 1 cilinder off road, T350 two cilinder two stroke. A Honda Lead 125 scooter, CB250RS 1 cilinder. Honda VF500FII, Yamaha FZR 600. That's what i remember.

Now i have a Honda VTR 1000 Firestorm.

Also had 3 Reliants, which file as motorcycle but are 3 wheeled cars really. One was a van.

Lol, okay,

Toyota Starlet, Citroen CX 2.5 Pallas, Honda CRX 1.5 12V, then the 1.6 16V. A Peugeot Partner, but only for three months, that was just too boring, now a Smart city coupe. And between the CRX's came a Matra Murena which i still have, with now a N9TE engine, still barely running. Totally fed up with the thing, but i don't wanna miss it either...

Oh yeah, bikes, wouldn't mind a Ducati or VTR SP2...