1992 Peugeot 205 GTI for sale, 20k miles

Guest EUROTRASH

That car is illegal in the US. Ineligible to be imported until 2017. Sure you can import a Citroen C6 or anything in TX or FL. And all is fine until 1) the Feds find out and crush it or 2) you get in an accident and your insurance company denies your claim on the grounds you have a non-DOT compliant car.

I wish the issue of laissez-faire importation of cars got political. Even the most statist-minded people I know would not object to overturning the outdated and useless import restriction of the EPA & DOT. The only people who want them are the automakers and bureaucrats.

(Hint: it was M-B who lobbied Congress for import restrictions.)

Guest EUROTRASH

That car is illegal in the US. Ineligible to be imported until 2017. Sure you can import a Citroen C6 or anything in TX or FL. And all is fine until 1) the Feds find out and crush it or 2) you get in an accident and your insurance company denies your claim on the grounds you have a non-DOT compliant car.

I wish the issue of laissez-faire importation of cars got political. Even the most statist-minded people I know would not object to overturning the outdated and useless import restriction of the EPA & DOT. The only people who want them are the automakers and bureaucrats.

(Hint: it was M-B who lobbied Congress for import restrictions.)

Well, that's a wrap... and f@ck M-B. :angry:

Their dealers were squawking because they were losing sales to "grey market" imported euro-spec Benz models which offered a better value than the twaddle they were allotted that M-B had federalized. But now the system is in place and it's probably easier to import a car into North Korea than it is to get a non-Federalized car into the US.

Their dealers were squawking because they were losing sales to "grey market" imported euro-spec Benz models which offered a better value than the twaddle they were allotted that M-B had federalized. But now the system is in place and it's probably easier to import a car into North Korea than it is to get a non-Federalized car into the US.

Sad, but true.

The local German auto repair shop on the main street in town has a nice array of Grey Market 80s Benzes.

Such nice cars to look at..