trailer hitches

was looking around for trailer hitch options for my car -- it would be nice to be able to tow occasionally as well as haul bikes on a bike rack. unfortunately, the hitch that's most commonly available is the curt model for the 505 sedan (11618). curt makes good stuff, but that model is the older "fixed tongue" style, it doesn't have the universal receiver that makes the hitch more versatile. i went to the uhaul site, and they what looks to be a universal model, but with a receiver. it's fairly inexpensive at $125, as opposed to the $170-$200 for the curt at most places.

i remember there was a thread on trailer hitches for 505 wagons a few months ago, so i did a search for a wagon hitch. the result was pretty surprising -- they said that "my car" needs a custom hitch, and if i was willing to drive to their tempe, az center and let them use "my car" as a template for 2 or 3 days, they'd fabricate a trailer hitch & install it for free (with a lifetime warranty)...good for the first customer only! you wagon guys should check it out...

andre

You may be able to find someone local to fab a custom hitch to fit your 505. Many moon ago, I used my retired 505 racecar to haul my racecar. I had on hand a bolt on hitch that fit a 79 Datsun 210 sedan and with some home made mods was able to fit it to the 505. Worked like a charm on my light weight single axle trailer hauling a 1000 pound formula car. I would not recommend trying to find a Datsun 210 hitch as it was a rather cobbled together affair, but I would gather that fitting a universal hitch might not be as bad as anyone thinks. Here is a link to a universal that lists Peugeot 504 as a car that it will fit!http://hitches4less.com/clasitrailhi1.html

Somehow I doubt its that easy....