505 Turbo Engine/Tranny Swap

bill

My 87 turbo has rust on the rear swing arm mount (buckling). So it is going to the boneyard.

I have an 86 turbo automatic which needs an engine.

I am wondering if I can pull the engine and tranny from the 5 speed out together and then put it in the other car? My concern is clearance- I know they will come out together with some cutting. Will the unit go in the other car, or will I need to separate the two?

I also have the option of retaining the automatic instead of the 5 speed. If I did that, can I put the engine in with the automatic in place, or would it be easier to remove the automatic, attach it to the engine, then install the works? The main concern here is lining up the splines on the torque converter.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I've always pulled the engine and tranny together, but the trick to removing as a unit is to have the front really high up, like 6 ton jack stands high, then the engine and tranny can be tilted enough to come out together. I've only had one time that I had to drop the steering rack for clearance, but other than that - it's usually clears.

If it were me - I'd pull out both powertrains, swap the 5-sp bits into the auto car, then drop in the manual powertrain as a unit...

Rabin

I should also mention that if you run out of space to get the combo out, it's nice if you can then lower the car with the engine / tranny still at ~45 degree angle.

I have to do this all the time in garages with 8' ceilings.

Rabin